Go Home Pheasant Hunters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Yellowhammer... your information is YEARS out of date.

there are more NR hunters than resident.

Did I say there were more residents or post info that said there was?

I believe these are 2006 numbers (most current available), and yes there are more non-residents than residents.

79, 953 residents hunters and 98,212 non-resident.
https://www.sdgfp.info/Wildlife/hunting/Pheasant/Economics.htm

Last edited:
I stand corrected... the numbers just didnt seem right.

If thats the case we have a RECORD number here this year.

See now your post was fine... then you had to go edit it to ensure you were being a [beeep]. lol

Man you people make me laugh.

Actually, I thought I might have posted opposing information since I didn't read everything in some of the links.

I'm not above making a mistake. Sorry if it came across that way.

Look who has resorted to calling names and spouting lies,now yellowhammer is a BEEP and im a gun grabber...why dont you stay on topic Orkan,dont try to wiggle out of the hole you have dug,its only getting deeper.You want thousands of peole to NOT be able to hunt birds in your state,you want to remove wilions of dollars from your communities,all this because you cant keep your land posted well enough to keep a few tresspassers away from "your" birds.The truth is that if you posted it better and kept your eyes open you could stop these guys BEFORE they get out in your field and you wouldnt have to pretend to be a bigshot and break the law by demanding the birds from them,if you are SO concerned with tresspassers do something about it and quit your crying.

Orkan, pheasant hunters bring dollars to SD that is just a fact! The scheels make a ton of money, the restaurants make alot of money if your in an area with decent pheasant numbers. Winner makes alot of dollars for there ca pita from non resident pheasant hunters.To say local economies don't prosper is not factual, as the money spent gets turned back over in the state for the most part!
When you have large numbers of people come into an area your going to have some problems, look at the bike rally! Those people in sturgis for the most part are fed up with the crowds and the rest of it, but it brings in millions to the area, without it their taxes would be higher for sure and they wouldn't have the things they do in such a small town without the rally dollars.
For the most part it amounts to a few weekends out of a year and the trade off is millions brought into the state, again that money turns around in state. As long as we have high pheasant numbers we will have alot of non resident hunters. Huron and other towns promote and want tourism from these non residents, I guess if your willing to pay higher taxes and have less businesses in Huron then try and get non resident hunting vacated from your town, also remember the state fair brings in money as well, even thought it has been a loss leader for the state, many locals benefit from it, how busy are the eating places and the motels? what do rooms go for during state fair and pheasant season? How much more gas is bought and items at C-stores durring these event's?
I'm not personally into pay to hunt, be it pheasant, deer or other species but many are willing to shell out big$$$ to do it. I worry about our youth and less and less have a chance from pay hunting to go hunt on private grounds for sure, WIA's are very important and all sportsman pay into that program count yourself lucky to own land!
This state is Ag dominate and with that your going to get paid hunting and hunters. I don't see the same as some guy from Tennessee willing to shell out 250.00 a day or more to shoot 3 pheasants, but each to his own. Also remember that the GFP runs mainly from dollars generated through license sales and without that big chunk of non resident dollars it would look alot different in the GFP and I would be willing to bet more from the general funds would have to some to the GFP or you risk loosing services provided from the department.

You are saying what I've already said.

Certain business' benefit... but it is only a very small portion.

Tell me how the guy working for a manufacturing facility benefits? Tell me how the guy working for walmart benefits? Tell me how the people that work for the city benefit? Tell me how the guys working at the meat packing plants benefit?

On another note, my thread now has more views than all but two "sticky" posts on this page. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Tell me how the guy working for a manufacturing facility benefits? Tell me how the guy working for walmart benefits? Tell me how the people that work for the city benefit? Tell me how the guys working at the meat packing plants benefit?

The people who are making more money from the hunters have more money to spend at Wal-Mart, the meat market, and other businesses. This gives the employees of these places more job security, and if the businesses do well they can pass that on to their employees over time.

This is a simplified answer to a Economics 101 senario of course, but then I am not a economist.

Those people benefit because the PATRONS that visit their stores and buy those goods have the $ to do so,in one way or another everyone in the comminity benefits fdrom the hunters.Where do you think al the $ they spend goes?It goes into circulation,it gets SPENT and the people all benefit.I cant imagine why you are so proud of your thread,the only thing that has kept it going is your ignorance or more likley your attitude wich doesnt allow you to admit the obvious.Put it to a vote in your community and see how many others want them gone,it will be a very few.

Quote:
Quote:

The people who are making more money from the hunters have more money to spend at Wal-Mart, the meat market, and other businesses. This gives the employees of these places more job security, and if the businesses do well they can pass that on to their employees over time.

This is a simplified answer to a Economics 101 senario of course, but then I am not a economist.

This is where you are making a mistake yellowhammer. Where do walmart profits go? Not to Huron, SD.

The packing houses are not "meat markets"... they are production slaughtering/packaging facilities. You can't walk up to them and buy stuff. So that is out the window.

This is my point... there are very FEW business' that benefit from hunters at ALL. Resident or non-resident. The sooner you people can come to terms with that, the sooner this thread can start making sense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Even the buisness that send their profits out of state EMPLOY LOCALS....they BENEFIT from the community having the extra $ to spend.The sooner you take a look at the economics of SD the sooner you might make sense.Not to mention that EVERY single sportsman in SD benefits from the tag fees and liscences they buy every year,lemme guess,the F&G is owned by the chinese?

Last edited:
All those you mentioned benefit by having lower taxes!!!! Any town that brings in revenue from tourism benefits from out of staters. Look at the bed and booze tax and that higher rate, it isn't the locals paying that it is the non residents for the most part.

Wal mart sells alot of food, shells and hunting vest to all those non residents too, which helps those that work there.

Quote:
Even the buisness that send their profits out of state EMPLOY LOCALS....they BENEFIT from the community having the extra $ to spend.

They employ locals regardless of the pheasant population.

They do NOT PASS PROFITS made during pheasant season to their employees. The employees make the same amount of money no matter if there are hunting seasons or not. (and they have to work harder) I know several people that work for walmart and know this as fact. Do you?

That money goes into walmart, and disapears from the community. Same can be said for a LOT of business' that benefit from the hunters.

Why this needs to be explained... I'll never know.

Man,
I started typing something, then deleted it, but now I have to speak again.

You obviously missed my earlier post when I said that those dollars spent turn 6 times. Every time those dollars turn, sales taxes are generated. Those that spend the dollars pay the tax, some of which goes to the city, state and county.

Stay with me here--the more money that is returned locally helps the meat packing plant and manufacturing facility stay in business by ultimately lower taxes and pays part of the city guy's salary!!!

No benefit directly but indirectly !

If you are a business person like you say you are, you need to pay attention to basic economics and how your local government benefits from this windfall.

Tim

Quote:
If you are a business person like you say you are, you need to pay attention to basic economics and how your local government benefits from this windfall.

Tim

So then explain to me how NR hunter population goes up DRASTICALLY every year... yet my taxes keep going up?

I know what you guys are saying... and I agree it would be nice if it worked that way... but it just doesn't. It is that simple.

Haven't we had about enough of this? Okay what do we have:
- Orkan doesn't like out of state pheasant hunters who don't respect HIS property rights.
- Lots of people blieve that the extra money from the hunters help to keep the local economy going
- We could probably sell tickets to watch orkan and Randy Buker in the same room together.
- According to orkan nobody understands his situation
- According to everybody else orkan doesn't see the wjhole picture
- According to ME, everybody seems to be having fun slapping each other around and I have my doubts about the worth of any of it.

It is obvious that nobody is going to agree with each other completely is it worth all the typing? I know I'm getting tired of watching this thread with the expectation that it will turn into an all out screaming match that I will need to actually moderate. I hate actually moderating, can't we just let this go ... I'm tired, it's time to go home and go to bed......

By the way, this thread was moved because several have mentioned that the content has nothing to do with "Predator Hunting". I'd like to dump it in the "Bird Hunting" forum, but I don't want to lay it on the moderator down there.....

Quote:
- We could probably sell tickets to watch orkan and Randy Buker in the same room together.

If we sell tickets, can you explain to me how the proceeds will help ME?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
and I agree it would be nice if it worked that way... but it just doesn't. It is that simple.

Come on Orkan that's kinda weak. ...It just doesn't. It's that simple???? If you're going to win this argument you're going to need some facts or at least some intelligent argument instead of slamming your fist on the table and saying it doesn't work like you said and it's that simple.

You are certainly entitled to not want them around, hate them, want to punch them and that's O.K. That's the beauty of our country. We can express ourselves freely.(Well, you can't punch someone just because they deserve it. Well, you can but there are consequences.) I feel the same way about certain things and people. But if you think that those dollars don't contribute more good to your state as a whole, you're mistaken. If you look outside your ME! ME! ME! attitude you might see that. Stop being so self centered and get rid of the tunnel vision. Without them we would all suffer not just you.

Take those dollars away from your state and your taxes will go up much higher and quicker. If your community is so small taking away jobs for 40 guides and their families would have an impact. If the hunters aren't there, there would possibly be less need for a few other people's jobs, like walmart, servers at the bars, restaurants and housekeepers at the motels. So now there is no revenue from the hunters and the 100 or so other members of the community who are now on welfare, or have no money to spend because they are out of work. The dollars are even more scarce in your community and the roads need work and there are less tax dollars so they need to raise taxes to cover the short fall. That tax burden is on fewer people so it is a greater burden on them. It trickles down pretty quickly.

I can understand your frustration with the small percentage that are unethical, trespassing twits. You don't have to like them...I wouldn't. There are always a few rotten apples in a bushel, but if you throw the whole bushel out for the rotten ones you'll end up starving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back