Bear guns

Snareman

Hey everyone, I was just wondering what calibers you would recommend for bear. I have been spotting a few on our farm and tracking them some, and am hoping to get one next week in bear season. I use a 243 for deer, probably kinda small. My dad has a 25-06 and 35. I know the rest of our guns are too small. I know the 35 would probably be best, but the scope is messed up and theres no sights on the gun.

If you go with the 25-06 or even the .243 I would suggest going for a premium bullet like a Barnes X or Trophy bonded bear claw. The premium bulllest are more common in the .25-06 than the .243. You alway have the option of a shotgun slug or if legal Buckshot.

Are you planning to call the bear or just spot and stalk?

I for one, would NOT want to shoot a bear with buckshot. Slugs yes, buckshot no. A good shot with the 25-06 should do the trick.

Either caliber will work okay. Yes the 243 is light but if you shoot it well as compared to the 25-06 use it. Otherwise opt for the 25-06. Don't use the 35 without sites unless you are at 20 feet or less.

Use the 25.06.

Either buy, or load up some bullets that are on the heavier end for the 25.06 (117 and 120 gr.) Pomoxis mentioned some controlled expansion bullets that should work well on bears. The 120 gr. Nosler Partition would also be a good bear bullet out of the 25.06.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. I have some 120 gr. 25-06 loads I will try out on that ole bear. I will try to let you know if I have any luck or not.

Snareman, if you can get your hands on some of Federal's 25-06 shells which have the 115 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet, you will not have any problem from the bullet doing it's job intended. Just remember NOT to shoot that bear in the shoulder on a broadside shot. Aim behind the shoulder 1/3 the way up from its bottom chest area, heart lungs.

Snareman
If you can get that 35 operational-that's the best chioce of the three you mentioned. But if you can't the 25-06 is the second best- take the advice of the other that have posted -and you might want to get close -under 150 yds to maximise energy. If the scope is the problem-does the '06 have one? Swap it over to the 35?
The 35 is definately a better chioce for bruins. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back