X7A Kalifornia deer hunting

Mr. Mister

Have any of you guys ever drawn X7A in Kalifornia?

It will be my first trip after many years of trying (it is a lottery draw).

I’m all ears if you have any insight.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, I cant remember and I dont have my map handy but where is X7A? Ive been drawn and hunted X9A, B , X1(old X1) AND X12.Is it close to any of those?

Lonehowl,

X7A is north of Truckee. Sierraville is kind of center of the zone though a bit low.

It has places called Sardine Peak, Lola Peak, Lemon Canyon, Bear Valley, Davies Creek, and so on.

HWY 89 north off of HWY 80 is the main road in from the south.

It took us 8 or so years to draw this zone.

Steve

Just got back from a scouting trip and all I can say is the high Sierra's are thick with Yotes!

I was up above 6,000' and saw over a dozen. We didn't have our guns though, it was after all a deer scouting trip. I know stupid us...

Steve

That will teach you Steve! Don't think I would want to be stomping through the Sierras with my gun, after a bit it does get heavy. Would be nice to pick up a little single shot 223 or something for use while scouting.

Rukus

Joe,

We were on 3-wheelers. I don't like taking scoped weapons on them, they bounce all over the place even in the gun rack. And they stick out past the handle bars.

When we get our Quads it'll be a different story, much better ride less bounce, ect, ect.

Those 3-wheelers are fun though, and you get a work out to boot!

Steve

Guys,
sorry I didnt get back to this thread.Dont look like I can help ya much.Im not familiar enough with your areas to offer any good info. Id just get you lost probably :rolleyes:
Good luck to all.
Next saturday is my opener in my stomping grounds, D8.Ill be up around California Hot Springs or Greenhorn Summit.It sucks but its better than nothing.

X7A is a great zone for Kalifornia. I usually put in for X6A and if I dont get that I put in for D3. Both of the zones I mentioned border on X7A. I have been into the x7 zone many times and I have seen some great muledeer in it. I wont tell you exactly where to go but stay close to the Nevada border on public lands and you should see some good ones.

Ronald,

Thanks for the advise on X7A, opening weekend is this Saturday and I’m looking forward to it.

I also have a D 3-5 tag opening weekend was last Saturday. We only saw one doe however I did see 3 Mountain Lions. A mother and her near full-grown cubs.

It was way to hot.

You do realize that getting drawn for X7A is damn near impossible given the fact that it is one of the premier zones in the state and this year it only has 165 tags (?). I could understand not telling everyone where you hunt in D 3-5 after all it has nearly 20,000 tags, and you don’t want a bunch of guys in your scouted area.

X7A is a different story. It took my friends and I many years to draw (Kalifornia did not have a points system until last year) and odds are we won’t draw it again anytime soon seeing how it's a Lottery. Keeping info to yourself on a zone like this seems a bit selfish to me unless you have a tag IMHO.

Anyway, we did our scouting and saw lots of deer and coyotes for that matter. I think we’ll do well. If you change your mind I’m all ears.

Thanks,

Steve

Back