NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

Quote:
Derbyacresbob:

What size is the target paper that you are patterning with?

Songdog1

The paper I have been using for pattern testing is 22" wide by 28" tall. The big ring is 12" in diameter and the smaller bulls eye is 3" in diameter.

Hopefully this next season we will have more coyotes to call in than we had this past season. I really want to try the Rem HD #2's. I think they will penetrate as good if not better than the lead Copper Coated BB's do. I guess I need to do another penetration test to find out.
IMG_1953.jpg

Here is a picture with the Rem HD #2's, I really like the pellet count on this pattern. If these Rem Wingmaster HD 2's penetrate as good as the lead copper coated BB's I think they will work great on our 20 pound to 30 pound coyotes.

It may be premature, but the pics you take are terrific for a certain type of pattern analysis.

There are programs that will actually take your pics of your patterns and plot the points in x,y coordinate data sets. These data sets can then be analyzed by statistical programs.

One such program is:

http://www.shotgun-insight.com/

this is more oriented towards clay target sports, but may have some relevance to predator hunters.

Keep taking pics of your patterns, and posting them.

Thanks.

Songdog1

The program I use to count and plot the points, counted 116 points to your 108 points.

81 points here

3582830264_e0bae8b690_o.png

35 points here

3582830352_463c1795a0_o.png

I have the data points on an Excel spreadsheet if you like.

Songdog1, I see at least 7 green + marks on those two pictures where there are no pellet holes.

I went out to shoot my new rifle a couple of hours ago and I took a catalog and a few shotgun shells to do a penetration test. I shot the catalog at 40 yards with a Federal Premium 12 ga 3" 1-7/8 oz load of copper coated lead BB's then I shot the same catalog from the same distance with a Remington Wingmaster HD 12 ga 3" 1-1/2 oz load.
The first four copper coated lead BB pellets were found on pages 113, 113, 115 and 117. The deepest copper coated lead pellet went through 223 pages.
The first four Rem Wingmaster HD #2 pellets were found on pages, 115, 121, 207 and 213. The deepest Rem HD #2 pellet went through 387 pages.
IMG_6159.jpg

IMG_6171.jpg

IMG_6176.jpg

Here is the catalog I shot with the two different loads and the copper coated lead BB pellets and the Rem Wingmaster HD #2 pellets that I took out of the catalog.
The copper coated lead BB's averaged 143 pages of penetration per pellet and the Remington Wingmaster HD #2's averaged 237 pages of penetration per pellet.

Good info again Bob, thanks. How many pellets are in a 3" HD-#2 load? What is there, 72 HD-BB's in the 3" shell? That #2 load could have real possibilities.

Quote:
Songdog1, I see at least 7 green + marks on those two pictures where there are no pellet holes.

Yeah. I see them now. I can edit them out. I wanted you to see the program though. I thought the program was pretty cool.

Quote:
Good info again Bob, thanks. How many pellets are in a 3" HD-#2 load? What is there, 72 HD-BB's in the 3" shell? That #2 load could have real possibilities.

GC, I thought you would remember,LOL. I posted it on page 9 of this thread. I posted it and I didn't remember how many HD 2's there were in each shell, it took me 10 minutes to find it, LOL. There are 124 #2 HD pellets in the 3" 12 ga 1-1/2 oz Wingmaster HD load. The Wingmaster HD BB loads I counted had 72 in one shell and 73 in the other.

Remington 870 Tactical 18" Remchoke barrel
45 yards
9" paper plates
Remington 3" Wingmaster HD #2

Primos Tightwad:
1 1/2 oz 1300fps 18 hits
1 1/4 oz 1450fps 21 hits

Rem XFULL Turkey:
1 1/2 oz 1300fps 14 hits
1 1/4 oz 1450fps 11 hits

Dead Coyote choke was somewhere in between but didn't score well because it was throwing the pattern off to the right.

Winner of this round: Primos Tightwad with 1 1/4 oz @1450fps 21 hits

Has anyone done any handloading of BBs, either straight lead or plated on top of a healthy dose of Longshot? It seems like 1 1/8oz of nickel plated BBs moving at 1500+ fps would be awful ugly.

learned something new today!

Talked with Chuck at kicks chokes today. I've bee worried about over choking my hevi-shot and doing damage to the chokes! This is not the case, to tight of a choke with hard shot will bulge the barrel from excessive pressure. That's why they don't like real tight chokes with shot like DC. It's a personal thing. Just a company covering there rear.

So the way I uderstand it is........Do what you want ,but don't come crying when your gun is junk!

It was a pricey call to say the least ! Got 3 chokes on the way. The best part is I have 30 days to test them. Return the ones I don't want for exchange or refund !
Wow that's good CS !

Tim

I have a Benelli Nova with 28" BBL Just purchased a Cabela's Hevi Shot coyote choke . I have some Hevi shot ammo 3"1 1/2 #2s I wonder if those are too light for coyotes ?

#2's aren't going to carry the energy that BB's or T-shot has at long distances, say over 40 - 45 yards.

Oh no I have the box its called #4 buck unplated shot. I have no time for gun accidents. What would happen? Over choked ? I'm a rifle shooter . But lately I've been wanting to put my shot gun to more use.I have a bunch of Rem "Premier Magnum" Copper plated Buffered Magnum 12 guage 3 1/2 MAX Dr.EQ 2 1/4 oz #4s. Now these loads kick hard. Will those work through this coyote choke? Thanks for your time.

Lead Number FOUR Buck will safely fire through a choke of about .680" from your shotgun. Those pellets are .24 caliber. They are small enough, and being lead, soft enough to manage the tight constriction. Triple ought (000) as you originally stated is too large at .33 caliber for any turkey tight choke. You need to take the time to go to the range and pattern your gun with that No. Four Buck to see how it shoots. The turkey loads can kill coyotes out to about 25 yards or so, but personally I have had bad luck overall with turkey loads. There are MUCH better choices, such as the No. Four Buckshot you have on hand.

Originally Posted By: ironworkerI have a Benelli Nova with 28" BBL Just purchased a Cabela's Hevi Shot coyote choke . I have some Hevi shot ammo 3"1 1/2 #2s I wonder if those are too light for coyotes ?

Hevi-Shot #2's wouldn't be my first choice for coyotes but they should work on California coyotes if you keep your shots under 35 yards. With Hevi-Shot half of those #2's will be bigger than 2's and half will be smaller than #2's. The Hevi-Shot #2's may work just as good as lead BB's since the Hevi-Shot #2's are heavier than lead.
IMG_1710.jpg

The above picture is a picture of some Hevi-Shot "B" pellets and some (copper colored) Rem Wingmaster HD BB pellets. You can see that the Hevi-Shot "B" pellets come in sizes from about "T" size to "#2's" in size.

Back