NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

GC,

There are two strikes on the bull at 40 & 50 yards. That bull is only 3.5"-4". I should not have shot the 40 & 50 from prone with front bag as I had muzzle jump/hop with my non trigger hand under the receiver rather than on the forend. Think it would have been better yet just from kneeling. I will shoot a couple more before fall and see.

I negative in regards to 12"-15" targets at distance besides not showing the entire pattern is you could catch a clump of the pattern which would may it appear better than it is on that particular shot. Kind of like one 3 shot group with a rifle vs. a 10 shot group. On my 50 yard target I see a "clump" of 5-6 impacts just off the bull that if it happen to catch a 12-15" or paper plate target would look pretty darn good at 50. Problem is it may only do it 1 out of 10 shots.

Everyone has a differant landscape they hunt. I am in the Northeast, its hilly, farm country & hardwoods. During sun up mornings & evenings the Fox like the thick brush, bunny country. They tend to appear quick,make me quick and are gone quick amongst the brush. I really would not want a turkey type gun for this nor pattern for this. The shot opportunities reminds me of hunting rabbits with beagles,with my father when I was a kid. If the area is a bit more open, I take in a rifle.

Overall I must say I have been very impressed with the Winchester Model 12, 2 3/4", 28", i.mod shotgun patterning of varies shot, buck & slugs. It may not do one thing perfect but it does a whole lot of things very well in that set up and it sure hits where it points. Because of this thread I have also had my eye and hands on a few fine Benelli semi auto tactical 12 gauges like yours which actually have screw in chokes for a tactical......They sure are nice,light,ballance well, seem to fit my frame well........tempting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.....I like them a lot.

Off subject- myself and a pal took 6 Woodchucks/Groundhogs this morning with three calibers 17hmr,22 Hornet & 22-250..........fun morning.

Bill,
That Model 12 is a fine shotgun! I began my predator shotgunning with a Remington M870 Wingmaster 2 3/4" chamber .12 ga. with 28" fixed choke Modified barrel. I still have that gun and it is worn slick and silver from the many miles I've packed it. I also have a Browning A5 with the same standard chamber and 28" Modified fixed choke barrel. It is about as silver as the old Remington now to. I wouldn't hesitate to take either one of them shotgunning predators in the brush again in certain situations. They both have "been there - done that." I like those older guns a lot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hello all im looking for a 1 3/8oz steel load around 1500-1550fps with Rem or cheddite hull/case primer fed209a/cx2000, powder A steel or Bluedot id prefer bluedot as i have heaps of the stuff
thanks A381

Here is a load from Precision Reloading:
3.5" Rem Hull
Fed 209A Primer
36.0grs Steel
TUFW1235 + (1) 20GA 3/8" Felt + TS
1 3/8oz Steel Shot
1420fps 13,180PSI

John

Guys,
I have been testing various choke/load combinations for my new Beretta, Extrema2. I believe that I have found the magic coyote killing formula for this gun. The first photo is a pattern I shot this morning with Remington 3" H.D. BB's. Distance was 50 yards.
Extrema680001.jpg

Same distance, same choke, with 3" Hevi shot "dead coyote".
Extrema680002.jpg

Same choke and dead coyote at 60 yards.
Extrema680003.jpg

Remington has another rebate going on the Remington Wingmaster HD shotgun ammo through January 31, 2009. $15.00 back per box for up to 10 boxes or $150.00 back. So you save $1.50 every time you pull the trigger. All the rebate information is on the Remington web-site.

Hey Rich, good to see you posting. AND, great patterns! Thanks for that information and the pictures. I had to drop to the Kick's .670" to get similar results from my Benelli's. The .680" didn't quite do as well from the tight bores of the Benelli's. But, it worked really well for your Beretta! Benelli's have a tight bore so the difference in constriction when you take into account the tight bore and slightly tighter choke I'm using, versus the more standard bore of your Beretta and slightly more open choke you are using - that does seem to be the magic place doesn't it? I'm really liking the HD-BB load and the rebate makes it a lot easier to digest the price.

GC,
The Benelli's have a nominal .723 bore, while my Beretta has a nominal .733 bore. The .10 bore size difference, does in fact explain why your Benelli would prefer exactly .10 smaller tube than my Beretta does. The more we search for perfection, the more we learn about shotguns. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

forgive me if this question has been answered here but I am still trying to get thru all this post on dialup...........slow.Do you find a lot of shift in patterns as you change loads? If velocity remains about the same and payload also could you use different shot sizes with sililar results in impact ? Also have you ever considered that the patterns you see and report on paper are actually thinner in the field as the patterns are result of a standing target with no movement as you would experence with say a running coyote? Not all pellets arive at the same time at the same point of impact. Hope I haven't hi-jacked this thread..pm if you would like to continue away from here , thanks,

buckhtr

The length and time of your shot string really is not that important when you consider the speed that the shot is going compared to the target. At 1250 fps if your shot string is 25 ft long the time between the front pellet and the back pellet would be right at .004 seconds. The shot at 1250 fps is going 851.46 mph. A coyote or bird doing 40 mph is going 58.7 ft per second. The target going 40 mph will move just under 3 inches in .004 seconds. People have said for years that the targets run or fly into the shot string when you swing out in front of the target. It is very difficult for something going 40 mph to run into the side of something going 851 mph. Your actual shot speed and target speed may vary.

Thanks for that info , thats the kind of stuff I was looking for. Now, what about impact point of patterns, do they shift a lot with different loads?

I have never noticed much of a point of impact change with a change in the load that I was shooting. I have heard of the screw in chokes shooting different points of impact through the same barrel. The shot size can make a big difference in how a barrel and choke patterns. A choke barrel combination that shoots a good pattern with 1-1/8 oz of 7-1/2's may shoot a lousy pattern with 1-1/2 oz of 2's.

I have actually seen some shifting of patterns over the years with various loads from the same barrel and choke. I've noted it in a few rare cases with turkey loads, but more commonly with 00 Buck. The 00 Buck seems to be harder to find a happy place for than smaller shot.

I wanted to try some of the premium loads but don't want to spend a lot of money to do load developement. Was hopefull of using some of less expensive loads and check placment and then go to the good stuff to hunt with.

You'll have to bust a few caps on the premium stuff not only for point of aim issues, but certainly for shot density and choke compatibility. Just no way around it that I know of. You can get close by figuring out what gauge, gun, choke, shell size, shot type, and shot size from the info in this long thread. But there just isn't any substituting actual patterning to absolutely know what is going on "out there" from your rig.

Mossberg 500 youth 20gauge full choke = 30yards

(oldest boy is 10 and this is his gun. 30-40 yards will be his max shots)

Remington 2 3/4" #3buck- 6 hits in the center 6" circle, 15 hits total

Slide1-1.jpg

Federal 3" HD #2shot- 21 hits center 6" circle, 68 hits total

Slide2-1.jpg

Think the HD #2 shot is the 30-40 yard load for this gun?

currahee,
Thanks for contributing to the thread! And with .20 ga. info to boot. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to bust a coyote with the Federal #2's at 30 - 35 yards. I wouldn't stretch it beyond that, especially without shooting some patterns first at 40 yards. It is incredible how patterns can fall apart within 10 yards, especially past the 30 - 40 yard line.

Joel,
Thanks for sharing that info for handloaders. There is another offering about to come out with a pellet that sorta looks like a .17 caliber pellet used in an air gun. It is an interesting looking thing, supposedly it patterns better than anything on earth and hits like a Mack Truck... We'll see how that turns out in real application.

Beretta 303/26" - Kicks .680.
40 yrds except one as noted.
All 3".
Target - 12"x 12"

fed4bkcopperoq9.jpg

rembbnitrocopperoq1.jpg

rem4bknkxl4.jpg

remleadbbsl1.jpg

Lots better patterns this time then with the Pattern Master!

Last edited:
Today I read that a company called Patternmaster has a choke tube that claim 80yd kill,they are about 90 dollars and they have a 30 day no questions asked return policy i am thinking about buying it and testing it in my SBEII with a 28in barrel. I dont see how I can lose with the return policy.

Back