rifle questions

Savage17

I have a savage 17hmr and I have made my first nine groundhog kills. the exit wounds werent bad but i was planning on using it for foxes. Any ideas for ammo or anything?? or to just use a different gun???

Last edited:
Are you trying to save the fur?

If you are, a good bullet that isn't going to "explode" like the fragile bullets would work well. Just aim for something vital.

If your woried about power, it shouldn't be a problem. If you really want to make sure it works, get a good solid bullet, and aim for the brain. That'll drop it without question.

If you want to save the fur, use a solid point and go for head shots. Head shots will keep all the fur on the body in good condition. Hope this helps!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

B2BW

I've been thinking of using my 17 Savage for foxes as well.

Wasn't sure about yardage/vital points to aim at either.

I've never seen solids in a 17hmr, but if they're around by all means use them and do the head shots when possible. I haven't even shot a 17 before but I dont see how the little ballistic tips can "explode" since they're so small and not exactly going super fast. I guess what I'm saying is stick to what you know about the caliber and try the advice everyone here has given you. Good luck in solving your dilemma...

Dont worry about tearing up the fur on heavier bodied animals lke a fox with a 17HMR.I wouldnt use the CCI FMJs they will go straight through and wont do much damage to the insides of the animal and kill it very quick you will probably end up trackin it.If I were you I would go with hollow points or V-Max bullets.My brother shot a badger in the head at 100 yards with a hollow point and it didnt even exit its skull.I have tryed the FMJs on prairie dogs and rabbits and they didnt put them down as quick because they arent expanding any they just zip right through and most require a second shot which isnt what you want for a something as valuable as a fox.I would use the Winchester Supreme 17Grain V-Max bullets or CCI Hollowpoints they will go in and do their damage and wont even exit.Aim for the head or neck if possible but if not go for a heart shot.

I shot one at 50 yards the other day with a v-max, just under the chin, without an exit. I don't think you'll get many exits with the v-max if you hit them center-mass. I don't usually get exits on jacks even unless they're over 125 yards or so.

Not to be a naysayer but I have shot a few fox with the hummer and I havent anchored one. I know my shots were well placed and they were under 75yards. I just dont reccomend it.

This is just my personal expereince with the round. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a savage 17hmr and I have made my first nine groundhog kills. the exit wounds werent bad but i was planning on using it for foxes. Any ideas for ammo or anything?? or to just use a different gun???

CCI TNT's group best for me out of my HMR. They do wonders on groundhogs and squirrels. A well placed shot between the eyes will put a fox down in my opinion.

I have shot a few with my 17hmr. I would say use the ballistic tips. Whatever you do, dont use the FMJ's b/c they are illegal to use for hunting in PA.

I'd try the 20 grain hp's too. They are almost as nasty as the v-max on small stuff, but I put one clear down through a badgers back too. Anchored it in one shot, one more to finish it.

Back