Wyoming Non-Resident Hunters may have thier season Postponed by 7 days!

Desert Sandman

Taken from an article in "Hunting Illustrated" magazine; Not word-for-word but close enough.

"According to a recent letter sent to the Wyoming Legislature and 7 members of the Board of Commissioners for the Wyoming Game and Fish Dept.
Some Wyoming residents want to change access for out-of-state hunters! They want to postone the opening day for non-resident hunters by one week in the general areas if not all areas!
It is hoped that with enough support from resident hunters this can be come a reality."

I, "Desert Sandman" personally don't have problem with that.
IF:
1. -They reduce Non-resident fees by 50%, and increase non-resident license quotas! (Non-residents pay from 10 to 20 times more than residents pay for licenses)

2. -By residents having the "privledge of opening day and 1 week thereafter, all to themselves," have them make up the lost revenues.

3. - Let the out-of-state hunters have a full week with no residents.

Can you imagine the impact on the Wyoming economy?
Let alone all the fine Outfitters and Guides in the state?
I know this probably going to stir up a debate and some feathers are going to get ruffled, but I'd like to hear what others have to say, wether you're a resident of Wyoming or not. Lets just keep it civil!

Desert Sandman

Us nonresidents are taking it in the shorts again.I hunt in the medicine bow forest. This forest is as much mine as any residents and i pay thriogh the nose. The day before season any Tom ,Dick or Harry can wander off in the national lands and do any fricking thing they want ,but pay (throuhg the nose for a hunting permit) and i have to be on a residents tag as a guide.

Fred; You're right! We do pay through the nose.

But remember now, this is just a proposal (Not a reality yet!)
I don't think it will come to be.
Lets see here now, the Medicine Bow Forest is a "National Forest" right?
Not a state of Wyoming Forest! So it's Federally funded with all our Taxes correct? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fred drop me an e-mail, I have something to ask you.

danl@inreach.com

Who cares if they let residents hunt 7 days earlier than non-residents. I have hunted in WY for over 20 years and haven't found opening day to be that great. Most resident hunters that I have seen don't get off the road anyway. More important issue for western hunting is guides, ranchers and outfitters charging us to hunt on Federal (our) Land.

I do not have any information about said "letter", but let me get this straight:

Sandman-- If you come to Wyoming deer hunting, your permit will cost you about 10x the resident
permit. If I go to California, I will pay about 9x times the cost of your res permit, but I won't have as much huntable area or game. If you come to Wyo elk hunting, your permit will cost you almost 11x my resident permit. No need for me to go to California elk hunting--you folks don't even sell elk permits to non residents!!!

Fred-- Your Wyoming non-res deer permit will cost you about 10x a res permit, if I go to Nebraska for a deer hunt my non-res permit would cost 7x more than your resident permit. I could only hunt for a 9 day season though. And once again, Nebraska won't even sell a non-resident an elk permit!!!! By the way Fred, a non resident hunter in Wyoming is required to be with a guide or a resident if they hunt in a designated wilderness area. Has nothing to do with all National Forests.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill. (If you don't live there.)

Sam; Like I said it really doesn't bother me either to see the residents hunt 7-days before we are allowed to, and for the same reason you stated about not getting off the roads.( in fact thats one of the most frequent complaints I've heard from residents is that they can't just drive out and shoot thier game like the old days) I guess with no non-resident traffic on the roads those first 7 days the animals wouldn't be as spooky of vehicles! And about being charged to hunt on Federal land, that just isn't right.

MTSTCON- Evidently you use a different math than I do, as far as what you'd pay for a Ca. non-res permit, is only a little over 5 1/2 times what a resident pays.
Also there is no "non-refundable $10.00 application fee" like non-residents have to pay in Wyoming, and as I understand it, Wyoming residents don't have to pay this fee on thier applications!
And you won't have to buy a "Conservation Stamp" here either.
As far as going into the "Wilderness", knock yourself out, we won't make you hire a guide or make you take a resident along!
As far as getting drawn? With the exception of a few special hunts, no problem as long as you apply early and don't wait until the last minute! No quotas for non-residents, and we won't ask you to pay an extra $100.00 to $200.00 to improve your chances of getting drawn, your treated as an equal.
Huntable area ? Plenty of it to be found , but like in Wyoming, the better ground is privately owned or wilderness.
Numbers of Deer? I'd be willing to bet an Elk- Hunt that California has more Deer than Wyoming.
But I don't know why anyone would want to hunt Deer here anyway, unless you are up to the "Challenge" of hunting our "Black Tail Deer" a pretty wary animal, he has to be with all the Mountain Lions we have here! :eek:
I sincerely hope you don't think I'm being a "Smart-ass" I'm not! It's just that as a "working man" working for wages it's getting harder all the time to adjust to these rising costs!
Take a look at what happened in Colorado when they hiked thier prices last year! A 33% drop in hunters and now have overcrowding of thier Elk herds! Eventually that will spell heavy winter-kill due to starvation. Now, I heard they are offering an extra elk permit per hunter to try and get things back in line.
About the grass being greener, it's pretty brown around there when I arrive in the fall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and Wyoming is Gorgeous to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OPPS!
Slight over-sight, you left out the Hunting license-- Resident $31.00 + $19.95 for deer permit=$50.95
Non-resident Hunting License $107.90 + $184.00 for deer permit= $291.90

$291.90/$50.95= 5.73

And if you feel like going after two deer you can purchase a second permit.

As long as I can afford it I will be hunting in Wonderful Wyoming. I appreciate the hospitality!

As for the Whine? No whine here, and I'd bet you're an "Alright" guy and I would concider it an honor to share a good bottle of California "Merlot" with you. You supply the Elk steaks, I'll supply the WINE!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Maybe even chase a Yote! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sandman,
Guess I didn't know about the hidden costs for California licenses. Elk and wine? I will do you one better, you get a Wyo elk license and WE will go wilderness. Then you can supply the elk steaks and I will supply the wine.

Back