Something I've been thinking about

lamar

I've been thinking about staining an antler call for a while now. This morning I decided to give it a try. First I rounded my call body on the belt sander then dropped it in some dark walnut stain. After lunch I fished it out of the stain and drilled the center hole. This evening after work I dremeled the call body and built the mouth piece. This is how it turned out after sanding and polishing. Just wish I'd left the stain off the mouthpiece /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. What do ya'll think, stain or plain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif{not for sale}
[image]
stained4.jpg
[/image]

I think the stain adds a neat touch. Makes it unique over your others. I'm more amazed that you do all this work on a belt sander. I thought you were turning them on the lathe. That makes these even more treasured...kind of like Songdog (TR) calls. He made beautiful cow horn calls that you'd swear were turned on a lathe.

Very sharp.

Tony

Tony thanks for the vote, I think I'm going to play with stain for a while, maybe I can find some green or blue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Stain or No stain! you do a heck of a job lamar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Ps I like the stain it gives it that little bit of a tweak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Love it!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thanks again guys. Yesterday I had to go to town, got a quart of green stain. Maybe I'll have time to try it tomrrow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Alaskan Yoter you remember correctly I was trying to bring the color back to some sun bleached whitetail antlers.

Back