Antelope in New Mexico?

possum

I'm starting the planning phase of an Antelope hunt in NM? or ??? for 2004.
We have already got hunts for 2002 and 2003 for other things.
While I realize 04 is a long ways off we like to look around and see whats avaliable.
Ok what we are looking for is somewhere we would stand a really good chance of having oppertunitys to kill bucks in the 15"+ range.We know quality costs.
Any information would be appreciated.Thanks! possum

Contact the game and fish http://www.gmfsh.state.nm.us/ to get information on landowners. You have about a snowball's chance in hell of drawing a public land hunt in a quality area, trust me, you don't want to count on that. C-n-B outlined the good areas for you pretty well. You might also look into the areas around Silver City, farther north around Raton, and some of the areas around Carrizozo. Landowners (and/or their guides/outfitters) are charging anywhere from $1000 - $3000 per animal, depending on size/quality of the animal and amenities of the hunt. Good luck.

Originally posted by DesertRam:
Contact the game and fish http://www.gmfsh.state.nm.us/ to get information on landowners. You have about a snowball's chance in hell of drawing a public land hunt in a quality area, trust me, you don't want to count on that. C-n-B outlined the good areas for you pretty well. You might also look into the areas around Silver City, farther north around Raton, and some of the areas around Carrizozo. Landowners (and/or their guides/outfitters) are charging anywhere from $1000 - $3000 per animal, depending on size/quality of the animal and amenities of the hunt. Good luck.
Damn, you gotta be kidding $1-3K to shoot a goat? D-R what happened to the good old days when you asked for permission? I don't ever remember paying someones mortgage. CnB

I think the problem is with the way the G&F distributes tags to landowners. I don't understand all I know about it, but landowners get a certain number of tags that they can do anything with - give to family, trade for cattle, sell to outfitters, whatever. They are not included in the lottery that John Q. Public enters to attempt to draw a tag. That means when you obtain a tag from a landowner or his agent, it's guaranteed, no wait, no draw. That simple fact puts these tags at a premium. The draw is a crapshoot, believe me. In good producing areas it is verty tough to get drawn. In some places it's like ten-to-one odds. I've yet to draw a tag myself. I know people who have put in for ten years and not gotten a public tag. So you start to see why the "sure thing" landowner tags get appealing, then expensive.

Example: Mr. Rancher sells his tag(s) to the outfitter for say $700 (I know some guys who get this pretty regularly). Then Mr. Outfitter, who hires guides, buys trucks, etc., doubles the price. Then he puts you up in a nice room or cabin and pretty much pampers you for the three day hunt. Doesn't take long for all that to add up to $3K.

Now, if you are lucky enough to draw a public tag, the G&F assigns you to a particular ranch, so you can't just cruise down the road til you see some goats and then ask permission, unless of course the warden in charge of your area lets you.

This is all for the general rifle season. If you choose to hunt with a bow, there are some different rules. I believe you draw for an entire region and then you get to find the place to hunt, either on public land or on private by permission.

Keep in mind that I don't follow this too closely, I just put in for the tag. I'm sure there is more to it than what I have indicated here. Anyone who is interested in hunting prairie goats in NM would be smart to call the G&F to see what the full deal is.

Nuff to make ya go out and buy a fenceing tool,3yds of patch wire & a pole-lever,..............uh, I mean ,uh darn that sure does add up fast. Doesn't it.

It sure lessens my desire to hunt those little goats on private land! Still trying for the public tags though. If I get one, I'll start buying Lotto tickets too!

I been gone a couple days,well from the way it looks I'll be paying cause life is entirely too short for no lotterys.Thanks for the info!!! possum

Back