First Bull elk with Muzzle loader

NM Kid

Hello Guys,
Finally after years of putting in for NM elk hunting I drew a tag. Drew out a mature bull elk tag for southern NM.

I shot this 5 by 5 Bull on the third day of the hunt. Rifle used was a Remington 700 ML Inline, 150 grains of pyrodex, 250 grain Barnes X Bullet. Bullet made a complete pass through and took both lungs out. Bull ran 60 yds before expiring. Distance shot was 165 yds, verified by my laser range finders.(The hole you will see in the picture is the exit, it looks high but on the other side elevation is a good bit lower.)

All in all it was a great hunt. This was my first muzzle loader kill ever, first bull, first bull for NM and so forth. Now if I can draw a tag for next year,

I guestimate by looking at this bulls ivories he is 2.5 yrs old. He might have went 550lbs on the hoof. He is the darkest bull I have ever seen almost black. Talk to you all later,

Chad

Unit15bull.jpg

Unit15bull2.jpg

is the first pictire pulling up for you guys? I am gettin 1/3 of it and thats all?

That is the better picture of the 2 I think,

Chad

Chad,

Congratulations... that is quite a haul to pull off, especially with a Muzzleloader. Nice Work !

Robb

------------------
"Happiness... is a Target-Rich Environment"

paws2.gif

I'm envious Chad! As you know, mine from this year is about the same size, but I don't have it posted on the net so I can't show it off. Someday I'll get around to scanning a bunch of photos and posting them for all to see.

Good going man. If it's as tasty as mine was, you'll never eat beef again.

Hey Rob it was an easy haul. I am hitting about 2000 fps muzzle. Sighted in three inches high at 100 yds, your 3 inches low at 150. And roughly 12 inches low at 200. I had planned on at least a 150 yd shot.

The Kawasaki made short work of the beast, dropped her in low and off I went. Went over a deep ravine. As I topped out I did one hell of a wheelstand. Thought for a minute I was in my drag car.
wink.gif

Bob this bull is a good eater. Country down there was full of grass and good feed. Plus he was so young. I actually like the hamburger better than the steaks if you can believe that. My butcher uses bacon instead of beef talow. Man it makes for some awesome eating. You all should try it on elk or deer.

DesertRam (Troy) and his father did a great job in unit 2 this year in NM were elk density is low compared to were I was at. Troy's bull is a bit wider than my bull. Most hunters in that unit have a 13% success so he knows what he is doing.

Talk to you all later,

Chad

NM Kid where did you go hunting? I went hunting near the quemado area for 5 days and go to see the trailing end of 3 elk. I was hunting for antlerless with a black powder gun. Anyway I was just wondering

Chad Chad Chad....Now I'm no ballistics expert by any means...I can hardly spell the word let alone say it...but 165 yards with a 250 grain rock? Dude...remind me never to tick you off! What a great shot!...a muzzleloader no less. A big ol' congrats!

I don't know what its gonna take to one up you youngun's...I'm gonna have to find me a sasquatch or something.
smile.gif

------------------
Yer Pal,
Bob

Nil were you hunting 15A or 15B?

I was on the 15A side. Seen 3 bulls, probably 20 cows. This was the first muzzle hunt oct 13-17.

Hello Bob,

Last night I was watching a hunting show on Outdoor life network. There was a barnes rep there going after bull elk in the Gila here in NM. The shooter killed a 350 class bull at 230 yds, with the same 250 grn X Bullet. You would be amazed what these rifles can do if you do your part. Personally I would have not gone more than 175-200 yds max.

Last time I was at the range with my rifle I shot 4 shots under an inch at 100 yds. I will probably buy a 45 inline and get on the antelope scene with it. Can you say 250 yds...
wink.gif
watch out little goats if I can draw the tag.

Chad

NM Kid I was in 15A also during the november 3-7 hunt. Oh well I got one last year and I'm planning on getting one next year
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by :Nil (edited 11-14-2001).]

Hello Nil,

The entire time I was hunting I ran into a total of 4 hunters. I was amazed as could be. All of these people I talked to got shots, some shot up a storm the way it sounded.

The cow elk I ran into were on the move. I caught this bull alone by himself. He did not know what hit him,
wink.gif

I will be putting my dad in next year with me, maybe even on the cow hunt too. Better luck to you next year Nil.
smile.gif

Chad

Chad,

Talking to my uncle this was the hardest hunt in the 6 years that he has went down there. This was the first time that he has left without camp getting at least 2 elk. It was still fun though.

Thanks I may need that luck. Hopefully you get a good one again next year
wink.gif

Hello everyone,

I got to accompany a friend on his once in a lifetime Oryx hunt on White sands missle range in Southern NM, I should have some pictures sometime next week. I'll post them up along with the story. Talk to you all later,

Chad

Nice pics NM Kid!!! Now break out that bow. Nothing like hitting one from about 25-30 yards out after you have called him in.

Hello Ran,

The bow is calling me for elk for sure. My friend who hunted the same unit with another guy both killed bulls called in. 15 yd shots sound like alot of fun.

I am getting ready for a mule deer hunt here in NM. I am hoping for lots of snow, get the deer to migrate in from CO. This may be my best chance for a good one for awhile in NM. This tag has taken me 4 yrs to get. Going to give it a full effort, cant wait.
wink.gif

Chad

Back