Nov. 3, 2001 WI bow kill.

Hello all

Would just like to share my newest addition to my trophy room.

He is an 8 pointer, with an 18 inch inside spread and a 20 inch outside spread. Has a little bit of everything ... good tine length, good spread, and long main beams. Sorry about the photo, it was taken in my front yard, reason being I shot him in the after noon of the 3rd, and it was already getting to dark for photo's.

pm27701.jpg

Good luck, but most importantly be safe!

------------------
Steve

----------

My guns name is Rex, cuz when it touches one it wrecks there freaking day!

Nice, nice--- Looks like you took him the right, way, too (with a bow
smile.gif
)

Congrats to all you guys out there filling your deer tags-- i'm jealous!!!

Way to go! good buck. Ain't nuttin like getting one with a stick and string.Awsome!

------------------
Ray
"Any bad day huntin' is bettern any good day workin'"

"If they run they will only die tired"

Thanks guys

At 20 I've taken quite a few big game animals with my bow (whitetail, mule deer, coues whitetail, caribou, elk, bear as well as an Alaskan moose). Being a competition archer, as well as being sponsored by a local sports shop I get a lot of opportunities to go hunting quite a bit.

I feel real fortunate to be able to do what I do. But my dream is still to kill a mountain lion, bobcat, coyote and a fox with my bow. I have 2 out of the 4 done. Not a bad start.

Shoot straight, but most importantly be safe!

------------------
Steve

----------

At 20??? TWENTY YEARS OLD???

Geez, dude, by the time you get to my age, you'll have killed everything and hunting will be boring!

Encore

I feel a lot older some days!
smile.gif
Hunting will never get old. I've taken a good number of animals, but most importantly is the memories that come from the hunt, whether an animal is taken or not. My father at age 40 had quad. by-pass surgery 3 weeks ago (he is warranty/technical at Mathews Inc.), so we are going to hunt together more together (ie. same state at sametime), cuz you just never know when God is going to take something away from you.

Shoot straight, but most importantly be safe guys ... you know the old saying ... "its all fun and games until someone gets hurt"!
smile.gif

------------------
Steve

----------

Great looking Buck, Congratulations on a fine trophy, and what was I'm sure a fine hunt.

When you get too bored with the Archery Hunting, there is always Handguns.

Larry

Congrats on a great buck!!! You have a lot of experience under your belt for such a tender age. It is great to see such dedicated younger hunters out there carrying on the tradition!

Larry...I see you are recruiting.
smile.gif
I will be taking my 7-30 Waters Contender with me this season!

Good Hunting,

Calypso

RemRexAnotherDay:

Beautiful Buck! Congrats!

You said your dad works for Mathews, Inc. Do you live in the Sparta area? I live in La Crosse and was curious where you're from.

WOLFER1

Thanks, and yes I do live in Sparta. My dad is a warranty technician at Mathews Inc., and as stated I am a 3d archer for Mathews as well as B & L Sporting Goods in Cataract. My dad and I hunt all across the US in search of some of Gods most wonderful creatures through Mathews. It is time well spent, my dad and I find out more and more about each other with every trip we take together. Couldn't ask for a better life/relationship than we already have.

Take care, and be safe.

------------------
Steve

----------

Hello Steve,

Thats a dandy buck you have there. What broadhead did you use, weight? Did you use carbon arrows? Did you kill him out of a tree stand? Under 30 yd shot?

I am getting ready for my January archery hunt for Mule Deer. I have been following some great animals, if they just cooperate I may have a good one for the wall. I took some pictures that I hope turn out, one is over 34 inches wide.

I just went over to a high country solo cam Brute Force. Got to break the bow in right in SE Utah on a descent mule deer. Animal went 20 yds and piled up. Sure is amazing what a bow can do. My dad is starting to become a believer after 6 bucks.
smile.gif

Good luck to you and your upcoming hunts,
wink.gif

Chad

NM Kid

This year I am shooting the Mathews Q2, it's set at 70 pounds with a 27 inch draw. I'm shooting Easton Acc 3-49's tipped with Rocket Steelhead 100 grain heads. I was in an API portable treestand which was placed where 5 points intersect with a logging road running down the middle. Creates a natural funnel that the deer almost have to walk by my stand. I shot him at 27 yards ... the arrow entered half way up his left shoulder and exited out his elbow on the other side ... arrow passed through both shoulders and was still sticking 6 inches in the ground on the opposite side. Deer traveled 50 yards after the shot. Now thats power. To answer your question about the power of a bow, they have more "killing" power than most people give them credit for ... I can tell you this that inside of 40 yards ... I'll take my Mathews over any Remington any day (and I am a huge Remington fan).

Good luck to you, but most importantly have fun and be safe my friend.

------------------
Steve

----------

Hello Steve,

Your shooting a short arrow, how big of an overdraw do you use? I would imagine your hitting 290 fps with that combo. Thats pretty awesome. Do you use a pendilum sight from a tree stand? Or do you lower your point of impact? Rocket heads are expandables correct?

I have never killed a mule deer out of a stand. Groundblinds and walking have been the ticket so far. Evertime I set up a tree stand they would take a different trail. They dont pattern, they eventually make there way to the field but its almost always a different route, time etc. this year I plan on putting up 5 stands and just rotating around.

Steve it sounds like the deer was dead right when you shot it. He just did the usuall death trot. It is awesome what a 1 1/4 hole can do, with blades severing everything in there way.

Check out Primos truth 4 video they show a 300 class bull crash in his tracks after one shot with a bow.

I may make it to Texas for boar. May try to stick one if I can. Good luck on your future hunts,

Chad

NM Kid

My arrow is 27 inches long, and my draw length is 27 inches. No overdraw, I shoot a Mathews Zero rest with an Extreme sight (in Realtree Extra Grey), and my stabilizer is a Quiet Tune 6 inch extention with a 4 ounce weight. Love this set-up.

I'll give you some advise to trick them mulies, but I'll start another thread, okay?

Good luck, but most importantly be safe!

------------------
Steve

----------

Back