Wyoming Antelope Hunt

Calypso

Hey Guys,

It looks like I may get a shot at an antelope in Wyoming this year after all.I am going after one of the leftover tags for Area 23. I would drive up there calling coyotes on the way up and back. Are any of you going after a pronghorn this season???

Good Hunting,

Bob C.

------------------
“No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, is as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
Thomas Jefferson, June 1776

Yup. I got a tag for unit 82 in Colorado for Sept 29 through Oct 6. I've killed two of them in this unit with a bow but this year I get to take my 7mm mag.

I won't know about the Az draw until mid-July but it would be nice to finally get a tag here. Arizona has some really nice bucks but it's nearly impossible to get a tag.

------------------
Take care,
Daryl
yotewalk.gif

Ditto with NM. I put my fiance and me in for the July drawing, but I'm not expecting much. At least I got an elk tag and she'll be chasing Oryx.

Got the shaft on Javelina too. Thinking about trying Arizona for them, but the cost is a little high by the time I buy the license and the tag and make a couple trips to scout. For that cost I could drive to Texas and shoot a couple more 200 pound pigs. It's a tough choice. Too bad I can only do one or the other. I don't think the boss would go for both hunts with the wedding in April.

Good luck on the goats fellas!

Bob,

I have applied for antelope in my home state of Idaho and have also applied in Oregon and Montana this year. Hopefully I will get drawn somewhere but, I really don't want to get drawn in all three states. It could be real tough convincing my wife that I need to go antelope hunting in three different states.
smile.gif
Good luck to all you guys.

------------------

DesertRam,

If you decide to apply in Arizona for javalina let me know before you do it. I can tell you where some really good spots are for the little porkers.

------------------
Take care,
Daryl
yotewalk.gif

Daryl, thanks. I'm cussin' and discussin' with my javelina hunting partner as we speak. I'm trying to get him to go along to split the cost, but he drew elk and oryx in NM and has one of those wives that doesn't approve of too much time away (more than 12 hours and she's calling the cell phone). I'll work on him some more. With luck we'll be able to swing it. I would sure like to get one this year. I'd hoped to hunt with a pistol or use the tag as an excuse to buy a new bow.

DesertRam,

I have taken them with a pistol a couple of times and have taken several with a bow and either is a really fun hunt. The bow season here is the whole month of January so that would give you plenty of time to hunt. The place I like to hunt isn't too far from Los Cruces. In fact, it's about half way between there and where I live. The applications have to be sent in by mid October so you still have some time to decide. Let me know.

------------------
Take care,
Daryl
yotewalk.gif

I take it there's a different season for archery? All I saw during my cursory inspection of the AZ game and fish page was a season in Late Feb and March. Here it's just one season and you can use whatever tool you want. I thought that would be cool. I planned on taking everything from a bow (if I got one) to the rifle and use whtatever worked when we got in 'em. I don't have anything real pressing in January (no other hunting seasons that is), so that might be an option still. At least if I bought the hunting license I could come over and hunt quail and do some scouting on weekends.

Have to think it over some more. The hog hunt in Texas is pretty tempting after this year's results and I would probably have to choose one or the other. Thanks for all the help.

DesertRam,

Yeah, January is an archery only season and then there is a week long season when you can use handguns, archery, or muzzleloaders in mid February. Then that is followed by a week long season when rifles or any of the above are legal. The tag would only be valid for one of the 3 hunts. You would have to buy the 2002 hunting license which would be valid Jan 1st through Dec 31 and that would also give you the option of hunting lots of other stuff on the Arizona side.

------------------
Take care,
Daryl
yotewalk.gif

Hey Guys,

I talked with my guide in Wyoming last night. It is looking good for leftover tags for antelope in Area 23. I am crossing my fingers. As far as the bear hunt goes, it doesn't look like there will be a rifle season in this area. They are on the sow allocation method and expect the sows to be gone during bow season, which will end bear season all together. It looks like a spring hunt for bear.I am still trying to locate a deer lease here in Texas.....lordy, but they are proud of the leases around here!!!

Good Hunting,

Bob C.

The Wyoming antelope hunt is on! I got the list yesterday from Game & Fish for leftover tags and my area is no problem. I just spent an hour on the phone with my guide working out the preliminary details. I will also be able to take a doe. The ranch we will be hunting is 15,000 acres. It has rocky draws as well as the flats and hills so we can get in where the big guys go hide. He said if I wanted to come a few days early we could go call some coyotes. He has not done much calling and is interested in trying it. What a deal! It is time to start practicing longer shots with the .270.

Good Hunting,

Bob C.

Back