Helping Out

Calypso

Hey Guys & Gals,

I have been asked to give Brian a hand over here moderating. I look forward to swapping tall tales and techniques with you here in the Big Game forum. I am lining up a Texas hog & javelina hunt right now. This fall, in addition to deer hunting here and in Oklahoma, I hope to get in a bear hunt.

Good Hunting,

Bob C.

------------------
“No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, is as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
Thomas Jefferson, June 1776

[This message has been edited by Calypso (edited 05-31-2001).]

Hi Calypso. There's not much to hunt right now here in Arizona except coyotes and jackrabbits. I won't really start hunting again until about August or September when the bear seasons open but I'm applying for several big game hunts here and might get an antelope tag in Colorado. Take care and good luck on the hog hunt.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Calypso, I was down in your neck of the woods earlier this month chasing hogs. Did pretty well - two hogs in two days. I was looking for some smaller (~100 lbs.) meat hogs, but ended up with two big fellers - one about 210 lbs. and one about 250 lbs. The biggest one had some nasty cutters too. But man was he tasty! There aren't many javelina in the area I was hunting (according to the landowner) but hopefully I'll draw a tag for them here in NM this year. I helped a buddy out earlier this spring on his hunt. He tood a real nice boar. That was my first experience with javelina, I was impressed. Pretty cool little critters. Good eatin' too.

Where are planning a bear hunt?

Good luck on all the hunts.

Calypso -

Glad to have you here. One of these days I'd like to venture south and hunt hogs & javalina.

Most of everything is closed here (including coyotes & other predators) except for grizzly & black bear. Griz closes end of June. Been out several times and will spend a few days calling them next week I hope. Can take one griz & 3 blacks per year. But come middle of August I'll be out for early moose and Dall sheep. Caribou opens then too but I'll probably wait until nov or so.

Of course I could do ducks & geese now but probably won't except to snack on one when I'm out. We have a spring "season" that lasts well into the summer with an interesting bag limit and very flexible rules for taking (shoot them (no spiecies restrictions) anyway you want and with whatever you want). The bag limit according to the Fed F&W is what ever you can put in the bag plus those that can't fit. Oh yeah lead shot is okay but the Feds "prefer" you use steel. Come fall all this is illegal plus you have to have the stamps then. Very interesting season.

As I love to hunt pretty much everything I hope to read more posts concerning big game animals.

Too bad I'm a bona-fide desert rat! A man sure could have good time up there in Alaska with all the game you have to hunt. I think your list of game to hunt in the summer is longer than mine for the entire year. Oh well, at least the sun comes up for more than two hours here in the winter. Trade-off I guess! Too bad my computer's a POS, I'd post my pig pictures. Maybe some day.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the welcome! John, it is good to see you "down in the lower 48". You live in a target rich environment. If you decide to visit the "suburbs" down south to do some hog and javeling hunting give me a call and I will see what I can set up for you.

Daryl, I know what you mean about Arizona summers. Good luck with the antelope tag. I have an annual non-res license with a lion tag in AZ, so I hope to get in another trip later this year to try again for a lion, with some coyotes and fox on the way.

Desert Ram,

Good job on the tuskers!!! Next time you will have to get the javelina. The season is open year round. We can take two a year. As far as the bear hunt is concerned, I am looking at Wyoming right now, but am open to suggestions. I need to make a decision soon. If money were no object, I would head up John's way where "men are men, and bears are BEARS!"
wink.gif

------------------
“No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, is as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
Thomas Jefferson, June 1776

[This message has been edited by Calypso (edited 06-01-2001).]

Too bad I spend all my extra cash on guns. I would like to get a nice camera. My little cheapie works up close on the dead critters, but just won't do justice to them alive unless I crawl in bed with them. Priorities, ha!

Back