Archery Season Warm Up- Hogs

Yellowhammer

Staff member
I have been busy this evening. I decided to head over to the deer lease and check my game camera and see if I could stick a hog. I stopped at my first stand to check my camera, and I see that there are hogs at my feeder. I went back and got my bow from the truck, and but a stalk on them. About the time I got in range, one of them spotted me and bolted but stopped long enough for me to sail and arrow right across his back. I had to have cut a hair or two! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Well, they scattered, so I check my camera which only had about 4 pictures and headed to my other stand. I had put my dad on that stand Friday, and he had missed twice with his recurve. He just started shooting a bow year before last and he decided to do it the hard way with recurve.

I thougth I would sit a while and see if they showed. I had gotten several pictures of hogs hitting that feeder and they had turned it over about 3 weeks ago while it was empty.

I climbed up in the lock-on and fired up the therma-cell I just got to keep of the mosquitos. I do believe that thing works.

Anyway, it was after 6 pm by this time and it had been 7:05 pm Friday when they had came in on dad. Sure enough, about 7:10 pm I could hear them and almost as quick they showed up right at the feeder. I had one good sized sow and 3 of her shoates. I drew back on the sow and made a good pass through shoot, and I could hear her running off. The other 3 had scattered, and I couldn't see them, but I could still hear them, so I knocked another arrow. The arrow I shot the sow with was the same one I had missed the earlier hog with, and it had a Bear Razor Head two blade on it.

About a minute or 2 later, 2 of the choates came back to the feeder and I stuck a sow shoate. This one let out a good squeal, and I could tell that it didn't pass through. It didn't go far, and I could tell about where it was from the squeals and thrashing.

I let my bow down and went to see what I could find. To my surprise, there was no blood and no arrow from the first or the second. I went where I figured the second one was based on the squeal and sure enough, it had only went about 30 yards. The arrow had been broken off and I found it about half way back to the feeder. After I skinned it, I found the razor head in the off shoulder and it was bent and ruined.

I dragged the choate to my shooting lane and then started to look for the big sow which I had shot first. I knew it was a pass through and a could behind the shoulder hit, but I could not find the arrow or any blood. Darkness was fast approaching, so I started to walk and look in the direction I though it had gone based on the sound of it running off. I found it about a 100 yards in a straight line from where I shot it, but I never found the arrow. Maybe I can find it later.

The big one dressed right at 100 pounds and I didn't bother to weigh the small one since I had left my cell phone and it was getting on to 8:30 by this time and wife would be wondering where I was.

After a picture or two, skinning it and getting it on ice, I have just now gotten home and still need to hit shower since the humidity her make the 87 degrees feel like 107.

ACbowhogs9-07.jpg

Edited for spelling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Last edited:
I would say that this is a pretty good warm up for the deer season. How many hogs can you take down there per person?

There is no season, bag limit, you don't need a licence if you are on your own land, you can hunt them day or night, and no weapon restrictions.

Man, that open hog season, no restrictions thing sounds fun.

YH, it's shoat, LOL.

Clayman

Thanks for the pics,our archery season opens Sept 15, and I'm gonna be in a stand on the creek bank.

Quote:
YH, it's shoat, LOL

Dang it, I should have known that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I went to school with a guy who's last name was Choate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Sad to hear about that bent razor head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I have a half dozen and i hope to make them last for many years. I love them outa my recurve.

oh yea, great hunt!

Nice job Sean! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Those look like they will be great eats!

Redhound80

Back