Does anybody hunt does?

steve allen

I suspect I will take a beating for saying this--probably sacreligious or something, but that has happened before. I and several of my hunting partners are looking for a state that wants does shot--deer or antelope. I outgrew big buck hunting some years ago for several reasons: 1) they are always heavy, 2) generally they are tough eating, 3) sometimes they are strong, 4) no matter where they start out they always die in the deepest hole in the township. Does don't have any of these disadvantages, and the licenses are cheaper.

What we are really looking for is a new area that is having population problems, and has multiple licenses that are cheap. We have already contributed to herd reduction in several states, and I gotta admit we are efficient. Have gun;Will travel!

Steve,

If your only shooting does, you are more then welcome to come whitetail hunting with me anytime you want to. Then I will have a hunting partner that will leave all the big bucks for me to shoot.
biggrin.gif

RK

------------------
Idle hands may be the devils work, but idle minds are so much worse

Steve:

Check out this link to Wisconsin. They are "aggressively" persuing the culling of the dear herd, due to significant overpopulation. They are giving free 2 anterless (doe) permits with each license issued. I have read that it is even worse in Michigan (didn't grab the link for you). I assure you that Minnesota is not far behind, according to the DNR, but the liberals that control the state, "enjoy the wildlife" and it may be more difficult to get a general expansion of the licenses. The exception are the management licenses for land owners.
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/hunt/seasforc/deer.htm

That is not to say that ryank's offer is not doubled by me. "We" (forgive me ryank for extending your offer) would truly enjoy having you here in MN and would gladly share, in exchange for Coyote training (not the Coyotes, but us!.....
wink.gif

In Arizona, all deer hunting is antlered deer only. Myself, I think this is a big mistake. First it puts way too much hunting pressure on bucks, which means that young bucks are hit hard every season. This in turn reduces the opportunity for bucks to reach maturity. It also undermines having a good buck to doe ratio.

Second, old does in the herd are basically just so much dead weight and should be eliminated from the herd. Unfortunately, Arizona deer hunters go ballistic over the concept of harvesting does.

The priority here is to sell hunting licenses and tags, not quality deer management.

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

Heck, i'd gladly take a doe!!!

Especially during archery-only seasons.

AzWill, correct me if i'm wrong, but in years past, i usta buy an archery-only tag just to have with me when out hunting javelina. Maybe 8, 10 years ago, those archery-only deer tags (which were good for certain times in certain units from like September to January) were good for ANY deer (whitetail or mule deer, antlered or not) in most units.

i'd be more than happy to arrow a doe.

Steve,

If you wanted to try some Platte River hunting, they have late-season anterless only permits (around January 1st). We have 160 acres on the Platte and counted over 50 deer feeding in our field last Saturday evening. Your welcome to come down and get a doe or three. We have too many. Check out the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission website for more info on applying. It starts in early April.

Thanks for all the responses guys! This definitely gives something to think about. I was in Wisconsin last fall with a friend of mine and shot 1 doe and dropped the ball on a second one. Fun to hunt the big north woods! I will do some research, and I may drop one of you guys a line to pursue your offers.

Azwill--You're right about everything you said re: big game management. That is not very good big game management, if they are not taking a bunch of does--not for the deer or PR or land use. I would guess that running shots in the forested areas leaves a fair number of dead does laying in the woods. Sounds like politics to me (I really hate politics). Generally if something doesn't make any sense whatsoever, it is politics. If if makes sense, it becomes science by default. I also bet the Fish and Game Department there have some interesting staff meetings, when 1500 does and fawns move into some ranchers irrigated alfalfa in July/August, huh?

Steve,

In case you dont already have the Michigan DNR here it is. http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/
This past year they cut down a little on the availability of doe licenses. You where allowed only two additional doe tags i believe. Besides the one you would be eligable for on the draw. Plus the buck tags as well. Year before it was unlimited doe tags. Certain countys have unlimited still yet plus late season for the culling aspect.
Have had some problems with Bovine TB in the deer heard in the lower penninsula. Got any other questions, or a point in the right direction let me know by e-mail.
Should also mention the doe tag will set you back a $1.50
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Locator (edited 04-08-2001).]

I agree with Steve and everyone else here, I have shot my fair share of does (but my offer still stands Steve). I would rather shoot a buck (no reason, just because) but herd management is very important I think, otherwise mother nature steps in to manage numbers and that is usually not a pretty sight.

AzWill, you should get ahold of the wildlife department in your area personally and give them some ideas about giving antlerless permits out as herd management. Such as in Minnesota it is basically a lottery type drawing, that rotates every three years. Or another thing they do here is anyone under the age of 16 (I think that's the right age) is aloud either a buck or a doe. That seems to work very well here and it gives the younger hunters a better chance to bag an animal that year.

RK

------------------
Idle hands may be the devils work, but idle minds are so much worse

Have seen an Early set of AZ.Regs and you DOE/Anterless hunters are in luck for 2001.The N.Rim/12AW is having TWO hunts this FALL.Junior hunters get 1000 tags and just before the late hunt another 1000 tags are out their.Winter range has suffered past few years and deer numbers are too high,says G&F.Archers are still allowed to harvest a DOE in the Jan.hunt in most of the Southern units of the state,Good hunting---

azbiggame. . .

You are right about the 2001 regs. But the number of doe permits available to rifle hunters is a mere drop into a 55 gallon barrel...

The AZ G&F folks have always taken good care of Unit 12, and always will. But the mule deer herd throughout the rest of the state use could use a doe hunt to get the buck to doe ratio back on it's feet.

The sad thing is, the AZ G&F is dependent on the sale of hunting licenses and tags. If you don't sale licenses and tags, the department is strapped for cash.

The 2,000 doe tags you speak of are for one unit only and won't have any impact on the rest of the mule deer herd in Arizona.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

Steve, you watch my back, I'll watch yours!
I'm not at all opposed to bagging a doe - in a lot of mid-western states deer populations are about out of hand.

Case in point - the Mo. home place of my mom and dad, only 130 something hilly acres. In an example season, something like 13 deer of all sexes taken with bow and rifle up until late Dec. On a late bow season hunt after that I counted 30 some-odd deer in a wheat field on one side of the hill, another group in the teens on the other side.

The Mo. Conservation Dept. has a deer hunting policy that most states should study, IMHO. Actually, most of their practices are noteworthy. You can get "any-deer" permits over the counter with the stipulation that you must select a management unit, as of last year non-residents can purchase additional antlerless only tags. Pretty nifty - pick a place to hunt and buy the first tag, if you hunt and are successful you can run out and buy another tag.
Additionally, some units have Jan. hunts for antlerless only deer for those left holding unfilled tags.
A "firearms" tag is good for the Nov. season, the Dec. muzzel loader season, and the Jan season, if appropriate and/or required.

IL., People's Republic Of, has antlerless-only or any-deer tags available. Permits are available by application only, way before the season. You must specify the county you plan to hunt in.
They also offer an antlerless only pistol season in Jan. Again, by application and specified county.

I kind of chuckle; maybe even sob a bit, when I see the big buck fascination of today - at a time when it is inappropriate in many areas.

I have some pictures of some decent bucks taken off of some of these "non-QDM" areas that I hunt. I am not opposed to bagging a big buck, I just think all of today's hoopla is misguided - not what hunting is really about.

Steve,
We in Texas are allowed four (4) anterless deer per season in my county. May want to check out different counties in Texas..Hope this helps you some!!

------------------
Bus-Bus

Back