Prarrie Dog Rigs.

Dogwood Creek

Lets see some pics of your Prarrie Dog rigs. Anybody like to bust em waaaaay out there? Post those best group pics too. I love little bug hole group pics,R.J.

Me too. I have a nice high chair that's like a tree stand on wheels, lol. Really pays off when the grass is tall.

Come on Tom ...you got a little time you can figure it out. I'll even offer up some step by steps for you if you'd like.

This one here will poke them out past 400 yds. Not a long poke but effective none the less.

513712.JPG
[/url]

.204 Ruger 23" Shilen barrel, original frame Contender, Bullberry stocks, Weaver KT15 scope

My sisters place full of prairie dogs.

Here is my 223. Winchester Coyote with a 26" Shilen #8 - the fattest contour they make. 1" diameter at the muzzle. Scope is from SWFA. Tasco Custom Shop 8x40x56 mildot. Paid just $300 for it. Wish I had bought three more.

Fool thing weighs 15 pounds.

IMG_0360.jpg

Snowshoe Joe, That is a massive rig. Care to post pics? I love a semi-custom varmint rig. Rather than buy a rig shoot it, find out it down't cut it, sell and replace with something else.....I much rather take something and turn it into my own, weither or not it would hold value or not.

Quote:
Here's mine. Restocked ruger 77 mkII in 204. Shot an 11 round, 3 1/2 inch group(500 yds) at the Kifaru rendezvous in May.

Like the looks of that table. It looks a lot like mine. I need to build another and I like your handhold holes.

cb, If you need to build another, I have some scrap osb that mine came out of. Welcome to it, and I'm not that far from ya. Can even help ya build it if ya want. My handholds are used to stand rifles in, I have seen guns take a tumble out of the little notches on other style benches. Don

Travis224,

Here's the only other picture I have handy.

IMG_0355.jpg

New barrel alongside the Winchester factory barrel.

The first time I saw a rifle with a Shilen Heavy Bull I had to have one. Now, I have three. The 223 and two 204s.

That Winchester barrel has close to 5000 rounds through it. Best handloads were 5/8th's inch at 100 yards. The Shilen is an honest 3/8's" shooter.

Huntsman, I got a kick out of your front rest!! In Minnesota we call that Norwegian engineering.

Wow! Thanks guys for the posts. I just got back from working in Michigan, and checked the thread.

Hey Snowshoe Joe, That is an awesome rifle. That pipe is the real deal. I happen to be one of the few shooters that like Winchesters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seems like we are a minority these days. My feather weight has the best factory trigger in my house.

That is a great looking bench you have there Huntsman. I made a portable similar to that, but not near as beefy. I bet that one stays put better than mine. I like the cubby hole under the top. Super idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hey there SKB 2706, what is the farthest you have whacked a pot belly with the 204? I used to have a Contender in 44 mag. I traded it off for a Super Blackhawk Hunter. I wish I had kept it to do a varmint rifle build on. Now they are fetching a premium price for a good frame. Good looking rig there. The Bullberry stocks look like the way to go. Keep whackin' those P-dogs! (does your sister tollerate Pennsylvanians?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here is my Winchester model 70 in .225 Winchester. Its the varment/target version, with the heavy barrel. It will reach right out there.

IM001028.jpg

Last edited:
That is a great old mod 70 there Bloodhound. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I grew up with a kid that used a 225 for everything. Mainly because they were strapped for money and that is what he had. Never the less, he didn't stay in the house because of it. Good old chambering. That one there looks like a keeper. Good looking yote in the avatar also. Western Colorado,mmm,mmm,mmm. You have a beautiful back yard.

I am pretty lucky to have 2 .225s, the target gun and a sporter...great cal and fun to shoot...lots of critters and areas to shoot here in Western Colorado

My sons rig
old salvaged Savage rescued from a pawn shop on the west side. Restocked, re-barreled, re-triggered and dialed in.
22-250 AI AB barrel, SSS trigger set at some rediculously light weight, Boyds stock. It torches prairie dogs way the hxll out there.

503469.JPG
[/url]

A couple of mine (.22BR and .243AI):

Rifles2.jpg

55115Rifles3.jpg

And a few that belong to a friend (everything from .223AI to .257 Wby):

Rifles%20L.JPG

- DAA

Since, once again I failed to ask his permission I will post this and hope he approves. This dude and his Dtech can and do get them 'way out there' ...I know I've seen him do it.

506630.JPG
[/url]

Here are a few of mine. They aren't the nicest but no matter if they Prairie Dog is 10 yrd or 500 yard they get the job done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Remington 700 Sendero SS .223 w/ Zeiss 6.5-20x50. I am getting 5/8" groups with Winchester 55gr BST.
100_0229.jpg

Remington 700 ADL .243 w/ Simmons 3-10x44 44 mag scope. This gun is plain jane but it shoots good. I am in the process of of putting on a new stock, trigger, and scope. Gun will soon have a new 24" SS fluted heavy barrel.
100_0231.jpg

Savage 93R17 BV in 17 HMR w/ Nikon Buckmaster 6-20x40SF.
100_0193.jpg

Back