Hand calls

I wish I could.... I could make most of the call on our lathe but I wouldnt know how to make the soundboard anything like that. Do you buy those?

Tried with a knife. I had the call made and all I had to do was drill out the inside. Well I didnt get the drill straight and I scraped out the side. I will get pics.

Heres the pics:
call001.jpg

call002.jpg

As you can see the hole in the side. I now learned to drill the hole first and then carve around that, lol.

I just threw on that finish to get an idea of what it would have looked like it if I hadn't have ruined it.

Later,
Jerrett

Last edited:
New at call making huh?....Me too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've only been building for about a year but I keep getting better and beter sounds and style as I go along. To start out on making calls, you don't need to have tons of tools. I started with a Dremel tool and a drill press. Scrounge tools when you can. In this world today people are constantly throwing away or selling tools that have little problems. Snatch 'em up!! Fixing and cleaning old tools is a great way to learn about how they work and how to fix 'em, and with the interet, a little cruising around can get you help on how to repair almost anything. Don't be afraid to fugazi a call, as you go along, you learn what works and what doesn't.

Wolferoxs: Yes, check out some of our advertisers, they sell them and they are all proven toneboards. PM incomming.

Verminator2: Check out some woodworking shops in your area, you can get pre-rounded stuff and sand the shape to how you want it. Keep an eye out for old tools for sale in your area(people upgrading tools in these woodworking shops usually will get rid of their old tools for dirt cheap or even haul it off and you can have it) Get to know guys and gals who work in these places and they will keep their eyes open for good stuff, you can get great deals if you just keep your nose to the ground.

Whiskers: Man, I'm still trying to gt the hang of being a wood butcher and I've gone through the side quite a bit. It sucks. You're on your way, that call has a nice shape, keep at it and experment with the finishes, thats where I'm at right now. It's never ruined if the sound is there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Most of all guys and gals, the sound of a call is the most important thing, do your research and get the sound down before you start working on style and looks. The sound is what brings 'em in, it's the main thing you should be going after.

If you can, join a woodworkers club in your area, those old crusties are vaults of knowledge and they are more than likely willing to share with people who are willing to learn. Don't be afraid to ask questions!!!
Trashan
Death Card Calls

I will be more than happy to rough out a few blanks drilled centered and ready for a reed. All you have to do is use a dremel or sand paper to get your shape and a little finish and done. I will also send a reed with the blank so after you are done shaping the call, stick the reed in and go call coyotes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The only stipulation is we must have pictures of the finished product /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif If someone is interested shoot me your address and i will get em right out.
Thanks Aaron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
I want to, but we don't have a lathe, so I can't really make one.

You absolutely don't need a lathe to build a predator call. The lathe just makes it look pretty. There are many ways to build calls. I've built over 2,000 calls or more, before I purchased my first lathe. Antler and horn is great place to start. My first call, in which I still proudly have, was made from a piece of dowelrod and a reed cut from a Pepsi bottle.

Tony

I used a dremel tool for cutting the air channel out....and still do today. There is a link at the top of the Hand Calls forum that I did that gives instructions on building an antler call.

I built alot of calls, before I could ever afford many tools. All I had was a hand drill, a handheld belt sander, and a cheap dremel type tool.

You can honestly do alot of work on a $9 rotary tool (like a dremel) from Harbor Freight. I picked one up as a backup to my dremel when it died.

Tony

Ok, I have the first two things, but not the dremel. I'll see if I can pick one up some where /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thats pretty much a dremel so yeah it would probably work. I cant wait to start making some calls!

Tony you are pretty skillful! Some of the call makers here make so really good stuff!

Back