favorite varmit to shoot

Only came across one porcupine, while hiking in the catskills. To be honest, it never crossed my mind to shoot it.....

But my favorite varmint to shoot (perhaps favorite creature to shoot period) is WOODCHUCKS.
Squirells and bunnies and other rodents are fun, but woodchucks take da cake.
But I have yet to successfully hunt a Coyote though, so that could change.

I would have to say coyotes if you consider coyotes to be varmints. I love to shoot prairie dog that are out there about 300 yards. No better way to burn up 5 box's of shells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

P.S. we don't have groundhogs in my part of Texas but that is a blast.

coyoteman23

Pasture poodles! in the East.
PD's and rockchucks in the West.
While wild canines are varmints of sorts, I lump 'em in the predator category..........that's a whole 'nuther thread!!
F1

Crows (with a rifle) first.

Then Woodchucks second!

If I lived closer to PD country, then PDs would be second...

... but there's nothing like watching a crow explode in a ball of feathers, waaay out there.

My best moment on crows with a rifle was a pack of 7 at ~300 yds, that were pigging out on grain in a feed lot.
I took the first one, and the others just looked at him, like, "Hey, I wonder what's wrong with Freddy, he doesn't look too good?"

After working through four more, the last two must have figured that whatever is was, they didn't want any part of it, and took off.

+ 1 for crows with a rifle. With my heavy .223, I can watch them explode through the scope! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Prairie dogs without a doubt. (The only drawback is that I have to drive nine hours or better to do it.)

Banditbuster, I never pass up a porky. I run into a few when hunting ruffed grouse in Northern Wisconsin. I have seen too many dogs have bad days because of those quills.

GrouseSetter

P-dogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif then Rock Chucks, then residential burglars and rapists. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Last edited:
I have to include coyotes as a varmint. That's number one on the list then Ground squirrels. These coke bottle size rodents are small targets and can be hard to hit at long ranges.

Quote:
Democrat's........ where legal and in season of course.

Stole my line Grunter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Crows on the wing hands down. Feral cats second.

Back