New forum

d2admin

Administrator
I saw this new forum and figured I'd get it started.We dont have any big cats or bears where I live but we have bobcats.I haven't got one in but I've found their tracks.Dose anyone have any good tips for bringing in a bobcat?

Later,
Justin

Bobcats are always a good subject for discussion.

Calling in bobcats isn’t one of life’s mysteries but compared to other predators, like coyotes and fox, the manner in which bobcats respond to a call is much different. Course there are always exception to the rule but bobcats have a well known habit of stalking the call instead of charging right in like the other predators often do.

Take advantage of this trait when calling in cat country by making your stands a bit longer than when calling coyotes. Bobcats love to sneak their way into the stand – many times you’ll just notice them sitting there looking you over; seemingly coming out of the clear blue sky.

One of the most productive sounds for bobcats has been the woodpecker tape; cats sure like the sound for some reason. But I’ve called in a ton of bobcats using the rabbit sounds too.

I live in Arizona, so when I want to focus on bobcats, I’ll pick rocky areas that contain a lot of thick brush too. Be forewarned that grey fox love this type of setup as well, so keep your eyes peeled.

Bobcats are experts at using cover to approach a caller - many times a predator caller will call them in and never even know it....
wink.gif

------------------
yotewalk.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

My goodness, Will. Who would have guessed? I already see a misunderstanding, here.

The title of this forum should be "Lions" and bears, rather than Cats and bears.

Any, and all questions concerning bobcat, are more than welcome, under the all inclusive Predator Forum.

Good hunting. LB

Leonard...

Yeah... you're right I guess.

It is a territory thing, do I sense you protecting your turf?

For the sake of the sport, I'll give them little cats back to the Predator Hunting forum.

In order that I save face here in front of everybody, I'll claim that this exercise was merely a test designed to test your's and Wiley's reaction. You passed...
wink.gif

I'll fix it first chance I get....
biggrin.gif

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Okay, called and raised, huh? Well, I guess I have to offer a tip!!!

As far as I'm concerned, if you are new to calling any cat, you should start with electronic, and there is only one reason. It is so you can avoid detection while you scan for your animal. Cats move slow and then you never know when they will just start walking in like they haven't a care in the world. They are often spotted just watching things from the edge of cover, so you can't depend on seeing movement.

So, as I said, my advice would be to use a machine. And, the best sounds to get a bobcat to approach close enough to see him are high pitched sounds like Yellow Hammmer woodpecker or Flicker, basically any bird sound. I have very good luck with rodent (rat) sounds, which is actually a big secret, so don't forget where you heard it. If you don't have any of those, by all means try a cottontail, they respond to that sound, for sure. Other sounds that work for me are puppy distress and kitten distress, and chicken sounds.

Before I forget, volume is important. You can crank 'er up initially, but after the first minute or two, he has already heard you, and now it is better to turn the volume down while he is making up his mind. Two out of three cats won't respond right away, they just need a little time to process the information. Having seen a number of cats approach from considerable distance, it is my belief that they take their time deciding, and once they do, the approach is fairly direct. All the slowing down, bush to bush, happens when they are already relatively close. Boy, if you are hand calling right at this point, you had better have your good camo, 'cause he knows exactly where you are, and you better not move. Now, how is a beginner supposed to spot an incoming cat under these conditions, right? This is one of the best arguments for at least getting a few under your belt with a machine, before you try it hand calling. It can be done, sure, but it's a whole lot easier when you already know what to expect, and all the typing in the world doesn't prepare you for the real world.

Part of the reason why the advice is that you make longer stands for bobcat than for coyotes, is that it just takes longer to pick them out of the clutter. They might actually BE there, but it takes time to spot them, depending on the terrain. They won't leave right away, like a coyote, so if he is pussyfooting around, you might not be aware of him for a considerable period of time. It is often a game of patience, there will be times when you won't see the cat until you stand up and scan the area one last time. Again, unlike a coyote, a bobcat never seems to be in a hurry, even when he is leaving in a hurry. Get back down into position, and lip squeak him for a shot. I hate to say it, but when you know the habits of bobcat, it's almost never too late. I've taken a good number of bobcat that were wise, and going away, but couldn't resist another look.

Right now, you know about all you need to do the job, now go get him, and be sure and tell us about it, hear?

Good hunting. LB

Thanks for the advice Leonard and AzWill.It's getting a little to green around here for hunting.First it was too wet to hunt,then when it quit rainin' the grass shot up chest high and its pretty hard to see anything.I guess once they lay down some hay I might get out a bit more.I'll definately try to bag a bobcat this year.And with all that good advice I ought to be able to handle it.I'll be sure to let yall know if I do.

Thanks,
Justin

------------------

predatorlogo3jpg.gif

[This message has been edited by Jbrad (edited 04-17-2001).]

I got lucky this year, I got 7 bobcats during Jan and Feb, 4 from the same stand.

What I learned is, use electronic calls, during the time when I was getting them, they were basically the same color as the grass.

I only had one that came in hot and never deviated from his course.

All the others just appeared about 20 yards away even though I was 99% sure where I thought they were. The last one came in hot until she reached a fence, then she squatted and looked the area over for about 15 minutes. I used a squeaker every so often to keep her coming, but she took a very roundabout route. finally after prob 20 minutes of sneaking us on the sound she came out in the open way off to my right. I had to open the door of the blind I was in and I figured she would be gone like a shot. Her curiosity got the best of her I guess and it also did her in.

Best advise I can give about bobcats is patience, patience, patience.

Almost forgot, I use a loud baby cottontail for about 2-3 minutes, then switch to a yellowhammer at a medium to low level. Seems to be the best combo so far.

Pecos

Back