How many whistle pigs you have gottn so far

DylanD

Please post how many hogs you got, weapon you used shot placement and yardage
ive gotten 1 so far with a .22 at 5 yards. i usually sit and wait at the hole because i dont have a high powered varmint rifle yet.i shot it right between its eyes.

DylanD

I've shot about 25 this year. Farthest one being 340 yds shot with my .243 and 75 gr v-max this last Saturday and the closest one being about 10 yds shot with my .17 HMR.

Myself, I've probably shot about 40, mostly with my 17hmr. Farthest was 200 yards. I did get one the other day with my browning buckmark at about 25 yards, dropped him like a rock. I aim at the upper torso,seems to kill them right were they stand. I haven't had any run when shot there. Together, between my brother, my buddy and myself, we have probably shot 150-200 this year. My average shot with my 17 is about 60 yards.

Last edited:
I am mostly after them for practice. I don't shoot any under 200yds. I pass them up and save them for later. Probably have about 20 or so, from 200-400yds.

About 25 so far, shot biggest one at about 10 yds Saturday with the AR, and longest was about 450, rangefinder had to do it in 2 segments, so not exact. Mostly the AR, some to the 17 HMR Marlin, 1 to the Baikal 12ga over 223 combo gun. Trying to take more 200+ yd shots this year so misses are a little higher than normal, as well as longer range hits. I've had atleast 5 over 300 yds so far.

I got 29 to date in three trips. I got 14 a week ago last Saturday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. The majority of the shots have been between 125-250 yards. A couple closer and not many too much further. I can not shoot much past 325 yards around here.

I've gotten about 25 so far. Been out a few times on the weekends and snuck out after work during the week. Popped at least half with the 22 Mag and the others got the nod with the 243AI and the 22-250. Best shots for this year so far: 3 shots with the 22 mag at 140 yards 2 of which were headshots and another was a headshot at 405 yards on the first try with the 243AI launching the 70 grain blitzkings at 3850 fps. DRT! Sam

VA hogs beware when Sam's wearin' that Ackley. That some good shooting Sam. At that distance I'm just trying for hog and holding over with a guess.

Hey AR Corey, your 450 yard shot is a fantastic shot as well!Keep up the good shootin'.. Congrats!!
I got that handy drop chart,then the chucks are in deep doo doo... I click to the range/target and fortunately the chart is within 1 or 2 clicks at 900 yards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Wish I could find some long range hogs... my usual places are not quite up to snuff this season... it's still early though. I'd like to get one at 500 + this season. We'll see... Luv that 243 ackley /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif!!!

Number 71, as of Saturday evening, and they're getting hard to find! Some beans are getting too tall and there's more corn planted this year than I've seen in a while. Late beans will be the only chance to hit the 100 mark.

I started early, and took a lot of sows before they had a chance to have a litter. That will bite me next year, but it was that or the farmers were going to gas them.
F1

Only 30 so far, but better days are on the horizon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I just talked to two farmers who's farms border the 6 or 8 farms I've been hunting on. I'm trying to create my own little groundhog township. The new area looks promising, going to hit it Friday.
I don't spare the breeders early in the season. I'll spend extra time "working" a particular hog that is in a bad area. One farmer has pointed out certain holes and said "I want you to get that one". I want my farmers to notice the difference so I feel like I'm giving them something for the privilege of using their land. If I do too much damage to the population, I'll move on but maybe check back in a year or two.

I've got around 50 so far. I went twice. I went about a month ago and the babies were just starting to comeout but the grass is pretty high. I used my savage .17hmr. Most shots were from 5-125 yards. I know I got one from about a foot away. I killed his buddy then i stood right above his hole(its on a hill) with the gun right in the grass lol. he stuck his head out when i whistled and he took a v-max to the skull. I didnt get him, he rolled right down his hole /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gifi bet there wasnt much brains left lol)

I'm going to 3 farms with weekend. Bought 6 boxes of shells a couple days ago. Hay is cut so spoting them will be easy. Hopefully I can get out earily and i'll likely give a shot at calling some coyotes.

Flyrod, I made it to exactly 100 last year, but I doubt that I make it this year. Sometimes you just simply shoot yourself out of business. I have only gotten 40 so far this year, it has been slow.

Sam, I have a place for your long shots. My rangefinder won't even reach the end of the field, it goes to 800yds normally. Sit on high hill above a huge river bottom with hedgrows. Before the beans got to high, it looked like squirrels in a city park along one of the hedgerows, but I can't reach out there like you do. Come on down.

73 as of yesterday evening. Didn't go today, went to a little get-together up in MD, instead.
If it weren't for a couple evenings in the mid teens, I wouldn't have killed nearly as many!

F1

Good job, my brother whacked one this afternoon at 575yds. He got her on the first shot with my 223AI and a 75Amax. I didn't get any pics, but it was the fartherst first shot kill of the year and we were happy about it. He dialed 8 minutes in the scope from a 250yd zero and flat azz put it where it counts. It was a nice first shot....of course, no wind today was a blessing.

Quote:
Good job, my brother whacked one this afternoon at 575yds. He got her on the first shot with my 223AI and a 75Amax. I didn't get any pics, but it was the fartherst first shot kill of the year and we were happy about it. He dialed 8 minutes in the scope from a 250yd zero and flat azz put it where it counts. It was a nice first shot....of course, no wind today was a blessing.

Did the 75 A-Max open up at that range and speed, or did it just zip through.

Back