204 Ruger vs 20 Tactical???

CatShooter

I bought a XR-100 in 204 Ruger last year, and it shot poorly. It also had other problems, like a gouge in the chamber, so Rem replaced it with a new rifle.

That was nice, but the new one doesn't shoot fer poop either.

I love the action, and I like the stock, so I don't want to get rid of it... so it's sitting in the corner waiting for a new barrel.

I thought I would get it chambered for the .204 again... but I have been thinking of the 20 Tactical, because of the availability of Lapua match brass. The 204 brass that is available is nothing to write home about!

Any of you guys know what the ballistic difference (velocity) between the two cartridges is?

I will only be shooting the 40 V-Max out of it.

Never owned a 20 tact but shot a yote today with my savage 204 and 39grn sbk's at 347 yards according to my range finder in a pretty stiff north wind. I held 8" left and about 4 inches high and made a high front shoulder shot that removed alot of tissue!He made it about 20 yards.I think the 204 is a good one but seems like all manufacturers get dud barrels or somethin sometimes no matter what caliber. I shoot 25grns of 10x for my hunting load and it seems to do well but I haven't had alot of long range shots yet and they are very rare in these hills anyway.I do think the bullet opened really quick though on this yote but could have been the shoulder shot also?would not have been a salvagable pelt!Good luck on your choice.

Last edited:
ky204,

where did you get you load data for 10X powder?? I am in the market for a 204 and would like to do my homework about all the reloading stuff before it comes!!!

thanks
kyle

Quote:
ky204,

where did you get you load data for 10X powder?? I am in the market for a 204 and would like to do my homework about all the reloading stuff before it comes!!!

thanks
kyle

Check over in the 204 Ruger forum. That's where I got my load date and like one of the shooters above I'm using Alliant 10X with great results.

Here's the site address http://www.204ruger.com/

Five shots at 100 yards. CZ 527 Varmint, 8 by 32 Tasco target dot scope.

CZ52720440grHorn09-09-063.jpg

Another five shots even if it does look like four.

CZ5272040909061.jpg

Here's the little beauty that does it. One $500 buck gun and one $75 buck pawn shop scope.

CZ527-204-2.jpg

OK clainbuster I'm impressed. I'm old and shaky. Coopers cost more. Gosh I'm trying to think up some more excuses. I was going to lie and say I shot them off the bipod, but knew someone would catch me.

Anyway nice shooting.

Claimbuster,

Looks like you need some left windage adjustment to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Nice groups!

I may try to duck in under the radar and offer some comments. The last time I did this on another forum on this subject, I think I might have peed down someone's 204 Ruger gun barrel from the response I got. But the respondent was not overly familiar with the Tac 20 cartridge.

In reality, with chronographed data, the Tac 20 and the 204 Ruger will vary maybe 50 FPS from each other with the same bullets, same powders, and the same length barrels with the slight edge going typically to the 204 Ruger. The Tac 20 will easily get the same velocity as the 204 Ruger with slightly less powder but with more case pressure. And the pressure is not dangeroulsy high in comparison.

I have a friend who has a custom Tac 20 that consistently gives better velocity in a 26" barrel than his factory 204 Ruger does. Go figure..... They're that close to each other in velocity that individual rifle differences might be more important. Basically, from a velocity point of view only, its pretty much a draw.

One obvious advantage I like with the Tac 20 is the better brass available.

I own two of each (2 Tac 20's and 2 204 Rugers) and I have no plans to get rid of any of them. Fortunately I was lucky and got two factory guns that shoot very well in 204 Ruger - one is a Remington 700, the other is a Ruger 77.

If I was forced to keep only one, it would be one of the Tac 20 rifles simply becasue they are both better made custom rifles. Also, I've been shooting a Tac 20 since 1999 and I like the cartridge design better with the longer case neck. Also, TK came up with a pretty good case capacity to bore diameter ratio when he designed the Tac 20. It's efficient....

I think you'll be happy with either choice and not give up one cent of advantage either way in the real world.

JMO - BCB

I swear if I read one more Tac 20 post, I am going to
find myself in Divorce Court because I broke down and
ordered a Cooper Phoenix in Tac 20. Will you guys
knock it off! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Seriously, I have a Savage 16, in 204 Ruger, and this
was suppose to satisfy my lust for .204 calibers. It
did just the opposite. I think I am going to sell all
of my .223 caliber rifles, and just own .204 caliber, and
.243 caliber rifles! Except of course I will have to
keep a couple of AR-15s, in .223 just in case we have to
march on Washington /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I want to make sure I have
something that will eat NATO ammo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The world was simpler when I was .204 caliber ignorant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Now I am lusting after them like a High School Senior,
lusting after a 25 year old well developed drop dead
beautiful English Teacher /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Squeeze

So then it would be bad for someone to mention 20 vartag 13ish grains of powder 32 grain head @3600 fps hmmmmm ... acreage gun

Quote:
So then it would be bad for someone to mention 20 vartag 13ish grains of powder 32 grain head @3600 fps hmmmmm ... acreage gun

This is a cruel side I rarely see amongst the afflicted!

Just yesterday I researched this cute little 20 Vartarg!
Being the most efficient of 20s put this on my "To watch"
list. I haven't made the jump to 6br, YET, but when I
do, the 20 Vartarg will not be far behind! Like I said,
this 20 caliber stuff is killing me...And my wallet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Squeeze

I also ran into a problem with my Remington 700 in the 204. It shot fairly well, around 3/4 MOA, but only with factory 32 gr bullets. It would not shoot worth beans with the 40 grain stuff.I loaded up some ammo with Accurate Arms powers, same thing, 32 gr pills shot fine, 40 gr ones did not. I then purchased a CZ 527 in the 204, and it shoots my reloads with maximum charges of BLC2 and Sierra 39 gr Blitz Kings into 3/8" three shot groups at 200 yards in field conditions, prone and with a bi-bod, 5 shot groups are around 1/2". I have taken several coyotes with both rifles, the longest shot was 400 yards, and it dropped it immediately.That was with the 32 grain Hornady factory load. The 39 gr bullets work better for me here in Utah, because the shots are on the long side, and they hold the velocity better than the 32.grainers.

I got my data from handloads.com and I mistakenly put 27 grn it should read 25 grns sorry bout that also graymist load dats is very close from what I have seen.The groups that are posted above are the same as my savage with this load and have tested it quite alot to make sure and .1 grains of this 10x made a big diffrence in group and primer.My Ruger likes this exact load but with magtech primers(7 1/2)keeps a tighter group. As many state I worked up to this load so you should do the same also hope this helps.The graymist data shows groups shot with many variations and some good explainations along with certain loads.Found the graymist http://www.geocities.com/graymist44/Ruger204.html?20079

Last edited:
Back