Re: gun camo

Rich Cronk

Crittr,
I don't camo my guns, but I do prefer a non glare finish on them. If you are determined to paint it, you might consider an archery tackle store. They have a camo paint that is sort of temporary, and comes with a can of stuff you spray on the paint when you are ready to remove it. I have used it on my bows before and it worked ok.

Go to Walmart and get the Krylon camo paint kit. It comes with 4 colors and a stencil. Tape up what you don't want painted and go at it. (You may want to practice on a 2X4.) It's really not that hard. Just keep goint until you get a broken up pattern. A word of advise. Green turns into black in the shadows. I've had best luck sticking with tans and light olive.

When you get something you like set your rifle in the weeds and see what needs to be done to make it blend in more. Once you're satisfied you can use a flat clear to protect the paint and keep glare down.

EDIT:

Here's a pic of a Krylon camo'd Remington LTR and Leupold LR/T 6.5-20X50.

556X45camo.jpg

Good luck.

cg... I used Bow-Flage on a rifle last year. I bought a model car airbrush kit at Walley World. I then used the kit to lay on the paint on the rifle with fine detail. Bow-Flage is removable
so if you decide to sell the rifle or just remove the paint it is easy to do. Hope this helps.
Mike

I am not sure how much you want to spend but I have my rifles camo-dipped and in my opinion this is the only way to go. It is available in may types of camo patterens and when finished, it looks like the shirt off your back. It won't come off and protects the finish from the elements and rust. Here are a couple of guys that I use if you need to ask any questions.

JR Dunn
Bell & Carlson
630-225-6688

Bobby Valing
DuraCoat
706-321-1222

crittrgittr,
I used the Camouflage Spray Paint Kit from Hunter's Specialties. It comes with 4 16 oz. cans of permanent paint in olive drab, mud brown, flat black and marsh grass (tan). It also comes with a plastic fern looking branch. I sprayed my stock completely in tan first (after making sure all oils were removed). Then, while holding the fern over the stock, I sprayed the other colors in a random pattern. It kind of leaves a dry grass looking pattern. I find it is better to use as little of the dark colors as possible. That way your rifle doesn't look like a dark blob. If you don't like the way an area looks, just re-spray with the tan and start over. Easier to do than explain.
That's what worked for me.

Paul

Hi Guys, Thanks for all of the ideas. Looks like I have plenty of options now, to choose from. Time to go shoppin'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'll have to see whats available around here. Thanks again...Seeya!

Hi Ya 187coyote,

Yes I'm using it and it works fine. They didn't have one for my Savage model so I got one for a winchester bolt action. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The vinal is non-gloss.
Realy tight fit witch is good. Streached it out the first time putting it on and it sat in the trunk for a day of Houston heat and form fitted itself to the rifle. Now it goes on easy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I overly oil the barrel to make sure the vinal doesn't chaff it. No signs of wear over 2 months of it being on and used each weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I'm using a strip of skeeter netting, camo material over the barrel to help break up any shine to it. Sewed the two sides together, sliped it over then cut out the hole at the end. It fits lossly and does move a little.
I put 15 rounds down range Tuesday and the material didn't melt down or leave any residue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have a good hunt and God Bless. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sounds great AJ. I would love to get one of them but I have a large stock on my boomer. I've been tring to talk the little lady into sewing up a cotton t-shirt that would do the same thing. I have an old shirt ready, maybe I need to learn to sew. Darrin

Hi 187coyote,

The only drawbck to cloth is it gives, useing gloves on cloth may not give the proper feel or may slip while sighting in. If it gets damp it'll get baggy too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Sewings not hard, and we wouldn't be making anothing to wear in public. HAHAHa. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

This must be done in the living room. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Have the cloth layed wide open, Camo facing down, inside facing out. Take the rifle, lay it on the cloth at one end. draw a outline of that side, Barrel and Stock, roll the rifle where it is laying upside down on the cloth, draw another outline with the rifle in this possition. Roll it over to the next side, draw another outline of it. Roll it on it's bottom and make another outline. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
You just made your first pattern, cut around the full outline you drew, DO Not cut between the outlines. turn the cloth over and now pass neddle and thread through it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If the wife's not in there helping by now go get her and sound how proud you are of what you did. When she looks at it if it's really messed up she may take pitty on you and help fix it. This is why it was done in the living room. :rolleyes:

Don't ask for any help, but when she offers, Haa Haa. You got her. Why not, they do it to us all the time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Let me know how it turns out if you go to the trouble. Or take the stock to the nearest Bass Pro Shop and see what fits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mine's open at the bottom for the magazine which mine doesn't have but the sides are camoed.

Good Hunting and God Bless. Happy Safe 4th.

I would say that you should look at what you are actually hunting before you put any camo on a gun. Most animals cannot see color (ie. most ungulates or canines) or see into a completely different spectrum. Just because it is hard for you to see doesn't your quarry can't see it.

I believe that you are much better off breaking up the outline/shape of the gun than coloring it up. I would tie on some burlap or put netting on the scope/barrel.

Unless you are planning on hunting something can actually see in our visual spectrum.

Of course you could always just hide better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hey there crittr
Why not check out the tech section of the home page there is a how to there
Later...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back