new with questions

d2admin

Administrator
Hello I've been reeding the posts here for a couple months now. I've been calling for 10 years now with limited sucess. I call in a heck of alot more then I kill, but I'm slowly getting better.

Wiley E, when you say you like calling in short spurts then waiting for 3 minutes then calling again. what do you classify as short spurts, 4-6 squeels on the preadator call or 15-20 seconds worth?

I've been doing the 15-20 second thing but have been thinking of changing that. I have a fenced in yard at home with a huge rabit population there. I live at the edge of a small town and all theese are conintails(sp?). Well anyways at least once a month my lab will catch one and they very seldom screem more then 3-4 times and some of them get lucky and get away. Some are higher piched and some lower pitched but whatever pitch screem the rabit makes it dont change pitch. This is why I was thinking of changing.

I have never tried howling. what would be a good howler to get and a tape to practice with?

[This message has been edited by Jasonm (edited 04-12-2001).]

Hey Jasonm,

What part of MN are you from?

Ryan

------------------
ryanspheasantlogo.jpg

http://www.predatormasters.com

Jasonm,You definitely need to get a howler your success will greatly improve.When I am at a stand I do just the basics with a howler.I start with a couple lone howls,wait about 3-5 minutes then go into a short series of distress calls(rabbit).My series are usually a minute or so of calling then 2-3 minutes of quite then repeated for 15 minutes if there are no takers I howl again wait about 3-4 more minutes then move to my next stand.I repeat this process through out the day,I make about 10 stands from sun up to noon.As far as calls go I use a Sceery howler,and Sceery AP-6 variable call, and AP-7 open reed call they work grrrrreat.
smile.gif

JasonM boy this is kind of weard we got the same first name.
smile.gif

JasonM I tend to look at this question as how would a rabbit do it? I have herd rabbits crying for 2 to 3 to 4 minutes at a time then take a breather and cry again. A rabbit can only hold so much air in its lungs and can only cry for a while then it will get tired of doing so. I limit my stands to 15 minutes then move on about a mile and start all over again. I also do the same with Ele. Callers and play with the sound. Everybody is different and will call in different ways, its what will work for you. You will get lots of advise in calling and what to use and not use. Try different ways of calling and change your pitch. I hope I help you out a little. Good luck and good (SAFE) hunting.

------------------
Jason's Gun Room
Quality Custom Gunsmithing

OK I'm going to buy a couple Sceery predator calls and the howler. I have his vg-2 and vg-3 calls. I think thats their names, but the company only carries 3 of his calls. Where can I order his calls from?

I would get them from Ed himself
Sceery Game Calls
Post Office Box 6520
Santa Fe New Mexico 87502
1-800-327-4322

My favorite calls are the AP-6 variable,and AP-7 open reed.
smile.gif
good luck

[This message has been edited by UTcaller (edited 04-12-2001).]

Jason, I would talk to Ed personally about his hand calls and howler. I would also recommend his videos. They will give you good sounds to duplicate and the length of sound is the same length that I use. Tell him "Against the Wind Wiley" sent you and says "hi".

I would say that I usually call for about 30 seconds then wait. I would rather spend my time watching for coyotes then calling. They can hear a call that is blown for 30 seconds at a time as well as they can hear one that is blown for 3 minutes at a time. Personally, I don't think the sounds you make and how long you make them are nearly as important as other things like stand selection. Wiley E

[This message has been edited by Wiley E (edited 04-16-2001).]

JasonM,

If you are getting some of the Sceery calls get the AP-1 Rodent coaxer. I have found that call to work very well on coyotes and it is louder than most coaxer calls so it can bring them in from quite a distance also.

Sceery's cassette tape's "Howling for Coyotes" and " Advanced Predator Calling" are very good also. Good luck

------------------

Back