Is this a good price for a RRA A4

If you have to order it, its not a great price.
However, if it's available right now at that price its pretty good. Ordered guns are usually cheaper.

I think any AR approaching $1k is too much unless its a custom, for that kind of money consider a dtech, I would buy a less expensive lower, like a superior arms lower or a stag, isn't a stag made by the same place the RR lower is made?? you can have the NM trigger added to either, check out RB precison, you should be able to save $100 or so ordering seperate, depending on which trigger you want.

When you go the route of buying no name parts you have no warranty. The RRA warranty is worth whatever you could save by buying parts.

I wonder where all the reject parts go, never hear much about them. I'm sure they just sell them for scrap aluminum price and recycle them, maybe. I know the guys at the manufacturers never screw up, or ding a part or, or.

I sell RRA lowers at $10.00 more, than I sell Stag lowers for. And, Stags are a great deal easier to get. I usually have Stags in stock and never seem to have a RRA in stock.

"CMT machines the receivers for Rock River Arms to RRA's specifications. You're right about everyone buying parts, the important thing is, what parts they buy. RRA has the reputation of buying the right parts from the right manufacturers, like Wilson barrels. That might account for the 2 plus month back log on getting one delivered. To say nothing about the resale value of the RRA rifles. It's a top of the line product at a reasonable price for the high quality, and a lifetime warranty. I will admit they are not inexpensive, but then quality seldom is."

You can either purchse a upper and lower separate or go to ar15sales.com and buy a complete RR for less than $900

Their phone number is 603-770-2281. A4 24" varmint is $920.00 and it is not in stock. 50% deposit required for order. How much is the 6-8 week wait worth to the buyer? I can ship one today for $950.00. Or I can order one for less than $920.00

There is no good price for a RRA they are over priced, for the same accuracy and dependability of much cheaper AR companies.

Last edited:
Quote:
There is no good price for a RRA they are over priced, for the same accuracy and dependability of much cheaper AR companies.

I dont know what that is supposed to mean?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I can tell you I have looked at every one of the others, and own a bushy also, None, I mean none that I have seen are as tight as a new RRA. Do these cheaper companys put the Wilson barrels on their rifles? From the prices I have seen everybody out there is around the same price anyways. New Bushys are just as high, Olys are up there too. If your droppin' that kind of cash on any rifle, isnt the last 75 bucks or so like picking the pepper out of chicken poop!

I got my RRA A4 20" for 845.00 + tax

CWeeks,

I realize I am stepping into the middle of a possible pissing match here and I do not want to get involved in that in any way but I do have a question for you. This is an honest question and not meant to inflame this post at all. Where are you finding Olympic AR's that much cheaper than the RR's? I have looked at a few websites and am finding Oly's the same price or higher than the RR's. I am only looking at the varmit/calling style AR, ie. the Ultramatch vs the Predator or Varmit and is that a fair comparison?? Like I said this is an honest question!!!

Well I am not trying to cause an issue either it is just an opinion on my part. But here is a bull barell kit for real cheap, and then there are plenty of $ left over for extras and you will still be cheaper than an RRA.

http://jtdistributing.net/store/more_k_bbk.html

And this is what they are capable of for that cheap, look at wingman26's AR at this thread and then look at the group it shot. Plus Oly has a lifetime warranty on their products. I just feel that too many company line their pockets to much rather than making a quality product for less. If someone can show me a website that has a complete RRA for 534.00 or close to it I will say I was wrong about the lining their pockets thing.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...page=0#52550323

I am not trying to make people made just saying how I see it.

I could be wrong but the kit you are referring to I believe is just for the upper, which is about $40-50 dollars cheaper than you can get a RR upper for, that being a predator upper. I have not seen any place you can get an Oly upper for that. I believe you are comparing the price of a upper kit to the price of a full RRA rifle. I am not knocking any brand but I think if you look close and compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges they are all pretty close in price with the exception of the custom jobs.

The J&T isn't an Oly and doesn't include the stripped lower.

The Stag, RR, and Oly lowers are all about the same price.

I don't know if the J&T has a lifetime warranty or not.

You can go up fast on the "options" even with the J&T kit. It bothers me a little that they don't say what barrel the J&T kit uses. You would think it would.

The term "mil spec" comes to mind. If they are mil spec, they have be meet the same standard. Granted, some may exceeed the standard, but they at least meet it.

Back during the Klinton era (ban) I purchased two kits from J&T. Back then there were not many , if any options you could get with a particular kit with the exception of upper choice being A2, or A4, and either an A2 stock, or fake collapsable, with no price difference no matter which options you chose. I think, IIRC, the price of the kit was $389.00 which included everything to make a complete firearm, with the exception of the stripped lower. So, for about $515.00 each, I had two complete AR's.

One of these was an A4 upper with a standard 20" 1/9 HBAR chrome moly chambered in .556, which I decieded to make into my varmit gun. I of course added optics, changed out the trigger to a decent 2 stage, and also started reloading. After I made these last two changes, this setup was very accurate. Good enough for 500 yard shots at PD's when necessary.

Throughout its life, the only problem I ever had was a broken extractor (sheared lip) at about 5000 rounds. I finally put so many rounds thru it, that I just wore out the barrel. It still functioned perfectly, but the accuracy was becoming marginal.

I found their customer service to be very good, with all questions answered. One of my pet peeves is a vendor being either slow to answer emails, or not answering them at all. That will get them removed permanently from my vendor list. I found J&T to be very prompt answering emails.

So, if I were buy another AR and I needed to make every penney count I personally wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one of their kits. Since I have never sold a firearm in my life, resale value means nothing to me. I personally am not too concerned about warranty either. I've only had one problem with any of my ARs, which I described above. And I think reloads voids the warranty with some manufacturers anyway.

I hope this info is beneficial to some here who might be considering going this route on a future AR. This is in no way meant as a blanket endorsement for J&T, just relating my experiences with them, and their products. I'm sure they can have problems just like any other manufacturer. Isn't it a great thing that those interested in the AR have such a wide and varied choice nowdays, not only with all the different manufacturers, but also all the options offered within each manufacturer?

ETA: I also own some Bushmaster, Oly, and RRA products, and have no complaints there either.

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:

I dont know what that is supposed to mean?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I can tell you I have looked at every one of the others, and own a bushy also, None, I mean none that I have seen are as tight as a new RRA. Do these cheaper companys put the Wilson barrels on their rifles? From the prices I have seen everybody out there is around the same price anyways. New Bushys are just as high, Olys are up there too. If your droppin' that kind of cash on any rifle, isnt the last 75 bucks or so like picking the pepper out of chicken poop!

I got my RRA A4 20" for 845.00 + tax

DPMS uses wilson barrels, I put together a gun for a buddy with a superior arms lower, with dpms parts kit, and a dpms 20" varmint upper for less than $650, upper to lower fit is everybit as tight and good as a RRA and better than the bushys I have looked at. I don't know about you but saving $350 leaves more cash for after market triggers if desired or optics, or ammo,

Steve,
I am with you if I can get the product cheaper in price but not quality then save the money and make lots of upgrades instead, that is what I would do most of the time. I guess I should preface this with the truth that I have dropped about $1300(scope and rings included) on a custom gun from Dtech that will be here this next week. It is my first AR and when I ordered it I knew less than I do now. But I wanted my first AR to be the best and from all the research I did, Mike Milli's name kept popping up and every single person that has gotten one has said they are unbelievable, so I did it. I can tell you though that the next one I get will most likely be from J&T's because they are less money than everyone else and shoot well for people.Plus everybody says they have a great great customer service setup there.

Mike R,
As yellowhammer adressed it is everything you need except for the stripped lower. And you can get those for $94 shipped from essential arms, and a clip for $20. A complete gun for $648. I haven't seen any prices that low anywhere else.

Last edited:
Cweeks, you are gonna need a parts kit and a trigger to marry into that striped lower. You might want to bump that price up higher....above the $700 range, and still not have a decent trigger. For that you will be in the $875 range, and for that....you CAN get a new RRA AR with the NM 2 stage already in it.

I wonder when a person plays the mix-match game, parts from here and there.

Do the costs of shipping make it into these low prices everybody claims? Take the cost of the of the lower, what did your FFL guy charge you to do the paper work? If you have one great, but what about the average person who has to use someone else. Just asking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

J.Holly,
At J&t's you can get a trigger assembly for $55 and let us not forget that if you are getting a RRA for $875 is is either used or not the same type of shooting equipment. Like a bull barell ... it is a carbine rifle barell which may or may not have the same accuracy. But from what I understand form my buddy who shoots both in and out of the military the bull barell always shoots better he says. He put a bull on his personal rifle and says he will never go back to the Carbines. He thinks that part of the reason it shoots a bit better is the extra weight to the gun.
All RRA's I have seen with a bull barrel are right at $1000 or more. Dtech can build you a custom gun for $749+ lower $94 bucks shipped for less that you can get a 100% stock RRA. With Dtechs' builds you get the SUM broach cut bull Oly barell everyone who has a Dtech raves about for accuracy, which no doubt will shoot better than the stock RRA. As stated previously 20 people may have handled your RRA where as one very good custom gun maker is the only one to touch your Dtech through the whole building process.

Last edited:
There's no question you can buy cheaper parts from here and there. There is some talk in the inner circles of the people that know, that the Chinese are making some AR parts right now. They may, make a good product, but I won't use a Chinese AR product, if I find they are made in China they are history.

Then there is the color match or mismatch, when using mismatched parts. Where are all the dented and scratched and 2nd's going, in your rifle? What does your rifle look like, do you have to explain how it got that way. Is the texture of the upper and the lower matching. How sloppy is the fit between the upper and the lower.

Of the 20+ website's I read and post on some of them, no one bad mouths RRA product quality, warranty, or fit and finish, unless, of course, they don't own one, then they have a lot to say.

You get what you paid for with RRA, quality, and a lifetime warranty!! An RRA rifle in the right hands will shoot under a half inch, and the average shooter can do almost as well.
RRA receivers and parts, don't meet, they exceed US government military specifications (mil-spec). The difference in tolerances can be how fast the machine is set to run and how sharp the tooling is kept for that procedure. Manufacturers sharpen their own tooling. If you re sharpen a 1/2" end mill for instance, it will be smaller than 1/2" when done. That is just some of the reasons, I'll stay with RRA.

The down side of RRA is, they're in such high demand, they are almost 2 months behind on orders. Very few if any used RRA's for sale . The up side is the US government is buying them as fast as we are, so they also know the quality is there. I will gladly wait my turn so the US government gets what they need first.

Are RRA's over priced, maybe. Are they worth it, absolutely!!!!

Quote:
J.Holly,
let us not forget that if you are getting a RRA for $875 is is either used or not the same type of shooting equipment. Like a bull barell ... it is a carbine rifle barell which may or may not have the same accuracy.

What a thoughtless statement. Just because your prices are high where you are at....doesnt mean the rest of the country is the same way.

Back