AZ Coyote Hunters. Question....

locobombero

I posted this in a local forum but have got zero responses. I know I'm not the only predator hunter in AZ so I'll post it here where I know I'll get an answer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

In AZ whats the general time period from when Yotes bread through when the pups a holding their own? I was thinking late Jan. - Oct. Sound about right to you guys?

I know this is a heated subject but it is my opinion that leaving the animals alone during the breading,denning, and whelping season insures good hunting the rest of the year. I have yet to get a pregnant female and really would rather not. In the area Im in there's not a big livestock threat so I personally just don't see the need.

They are denning and whelping in April and May, pups should all be weaned by the end of July or so.

It's pretty much a personal thing since we can hunt them legally year round, but being sports hunters and not ADC, most guys usually don't shoot them here from early March till the end of August at least.

If you choose not to shoot them, it's still a good time to learn calling/howling and behavior patterns (if you can stand the heat).

I think your dates are a bit generous at Jan-Oct for reproduction activities in AZ. That leaves the "rest of the year for hunting" as Nov and Dec?? Do you only call during Nov and Dec? I couldn't live with just 60 days. Just my thoughts

Good point. I did over estimate that a bit hu. I kinda pulled that out of the air any way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Last edited:
I allways start the hunt around first week of October, the pups are grown and the heat is staring to taper-off. I feel the same about shooting pregnant females so I usually pull out around early april. Just my opinion though.

It doesnt make one iota of difference if you shoot the female coyote in Oct,Nov., Dec, Jan. Feb, Mar, April, May June July, Aug or Sept.
A dead female shot in any other month will produce NO pups in April or May, no matter how much you leave them alone in the other months!

The coyote does not need a season or protecting. Especially in AZ. since no trapping allowed on Public land for over 13 years now, to control there numbers.

You and I can not kill enough of them to hurt their numbers here. Disease and highways kill far more than hunters do, and still not enough to hurt their numbers!
Example:
In 2001 Parvo ravaged the coyote population here to the point that we only had a 6% pup survival rate in the spring of 2002.
Right now, they are back to pre 2001 levels with coyotes everywhere!
FWIW
Steve

Steve,
you are right on the money. we as hunters need to stand together. weather we hunt this time of year or not.i want to see that it is kept up to our personal choice whether we hunt in the summer. we need to stick together and quit arguing amongst ourselves!!!
PS not that this thread was headed there, but i cant stand any more of the left and right arguing! alright i am done.

I have no desire to hunt in the spring. After March 1st I'm done until October. Sweating profusely when calling is no fun to me. If you let the coyotes raise their young you'll have lots of young dumb ears to hear your call in the fall.

I have a question for you AZ hunters, even the coyotes you take lets say in Jan. are they worth skinning. I'm sure it may vary acrooss the state, elevation etc. Just curious.

Randy,
Back in the boom days, I averaged $87.50 for my AZ coyotes and most of them were taken at 5000 feet or so. I topped out at $130.00 for one. I sold direct to Canada at the old Dominion/Sudack fur auction sales. These days, I can average $25 for those same 5000 to 7000 elevation coyotes. Low desert coyotes will still average $17 or so.
Most guys will not skin them for that, but I just cant seem to waste a good hide myself.
The really great thing, is that I have seem March coyotes as good or better than Jan at low elevations. High Elevation coyotes tend to rub more.
Steve

tt2.gif

Last edited:
Back