BSA Scopes?????

Huckster

Does anybody shoot with BSA scopes. What kind of quality for the $, or should they be passed up all together. Gander Mountain is clearancing 3x10 catseye's for $60.00 which is half price. I dont want to sink money into a disapointment and have to upgrade later. Im trying to avoid putting out $400 for a scope. Thanks for any info.

Huckster

I have a cats eye on my 223 right now. Are they great , no. DO they work ,yes. Customer service is fair to poor. Other than the price there is nothing special about them that would make me buy another. But for me, Price has alot to do with what I buy. I would probably opt. for a simmons atec next time. Much clearer aand an all around better scope plus comes with a 3.5" sunshade For around $110-$169.

You get what you pay for.

I've owned a few BSA Contenders. They might fit your needs if you are not concerned about the scope holding zero round after round or being as clear as other mid priced scopes. Obviously they are not the quality of Nikon or Leupold. However, I imagine they would work well enough to kill a coyote at 100 yards repeatedly. They will not work if you are trying to shoot consistant groups. The other concern I have is their durability. My brother had the scope adjustment plastic thingies fall off his BSA after about 200 rounds. He never used it on anything other than an AR-15. If you were planning onm using it on a 22-250 or 243 I'd have second thought on how it would hold up.

Then again, I'd take one over a Tasco, Leapers or other low end scope.

Hope it helps.

Cheers!

I have a BSA platinum scope on my ruger .243 and i can shoot 1" groups with it at 200 yards all day. It's a GREAT scope for the money. if i bought a leupold with the same amount of power and target turrets it would cost me $700

I had one of the 6-20x40 Platinums on my AR15 for a short while and found it to be a piece of crap. It would hold zero fairly well but sometimes would shift if you changed the magnification and also the target turrets were no where near consistant, 5 clicks up might bring you 2" higher and 4" to the right or left, and if you reversed your clicks it might bring you back down 6" and several to either the right or left. Add to that that it was blurry around the edges and you have what I consider a piece of junk. I have found that you get what you pay for. one of thier lower power variables on a rifle that won't shoot better than MOA would probably be fine for all around shooting but if you expect sub inch groups with consistant click adjustements stay away from the BSA scopes.

I have a 3-12x40 Contender. It started out on a .22 WMR but was way too much power. Shifted it over to my .223 and it is OK. However, I do think it has some serious POI problems between 6-12 power. Saving my pennies for something else.

However, it did get me shooting the .223, so I'll hold on to it until it breaks for just that purpose. Something to throw on a rifle to shoot a few rounds until I get something better.

A buddy of mine has one on a .22-250. He bought it because of the price. It works, more or less, but I wouldn't take it if he wanted to give it to me. He now realizes he needs to replace it if he wants his rifle to shoot to it's potential. Nothing like spending the same money twice, right?

I have the 1.5-4.5x32 Catseye on my NEF Ultra 12 gauge. Had it for 3 hunting seasons now and all I do is shoot a box of 3" slugs through it before season starts just to make sure it's still on. Haven't had to move it a click since I sighted it in.

Head the advise so far. I failed to listen - Ive got a BSA for sale....POI changes between power settings..... An ever shifting zero.....

Take your 4 - $20 bills and putem in an ashtray - add some lighter fluid -- that would be a better value!

Bought a BSA Contender for my heavy barreled 22-250. After 40 rounds the front lense fell out. They sent me a new one that has seemed to work, shooting 1/4 to 1/2 MOA at 100 yds. But last time out I noticed that the cross hairs were no longer square. It held zero fairly close, 1/2 inch off to the left. A student of mine bought one and had to send it back also.

I will probably be shopping for a new scope before my prairie dog hunt this summer.

LRW

I have a 4-16 contender on my 22mag. It is junk. I ordered it from Midway about 2 years ago. It holds zero but the reticle is crooked and the clarity is terrible. As soon as I have enough money to rescope my 280 the 4-12 VXII is going on it. I know atleast 5 other guys who have had the same problem. I wont even sell this scope. It is going in the trash as soon as my new 4.5-14 luepold gets here.JMO

I have had two Bsa scopes one for my .22 and one for a rifle. I have nothing but bad luck with them. I would suggest you do not purchase one. You are better off spending that $400 dollars on that scope. It will save you in the long run.

Suggest you spend a bit more and get something of higher quality.

Life is too short to drink poor wine or to buy a cheap scope.............

Originally posted by T:
[qb]I have a BSA platinum scope on my ruger .243 and i can shoot 1" groups with it at 200 yards all day. It's a GREAT scope for the money. if i bought a leupold with the same amount of power and target turrets it would cost me $700[/qb]
Forget what i just wrote above, a week ago my gun was shooting just fine, then i shot it today and it was about 7 inches high a a few to the left, now i can barely get it back to zero. I guess i'll be putting some money towards a Nikon monarch

Back