10,mm 1911

White Eagle

I really like the looks and feel of the 1911's and was wondering who makes one in 10 mm ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

IIRC, Kimber and Dan Wesson make new ones. Colt made the Delta Elite too. EAA Witness has a CZ clone in 10mm. There might be more, but the names escape me now. MI VHNTR

I have the Colt, Gold Cup, stainless Delta Elite as well as the stainless kimber. Both are fine handguns.

I took a nice white tail with my Gold Cup a couple of years ago. First and only handgun deer, and it was a "bang flop"

so far out of the pieces that I could find I like the Dan Wesson the best
Dont get me wrong the kimbers are very nice but a little pricey
Does colt still make the delta elite I haven't been able to find out anything on them?

1st off I love 10mm.
I have a Delta Elite and a G20

Now that I have prefaced that....I believe that if you get a handgun and want the utmost reliability you should purchase it in the caliber it was originally designed in as the mechanics were designed around a certain size and recoil round.

That said the 1911 performs best in a full size 45ACP. Ask anyone who is around these much and you will find problems with any of these guns that differ, whether it is a different caliber, a shorter barrel version or both.

My Delta Elite is a different animal than my Gold Cup and way different than my G20. More fierce and harder to control.

If the 10mm energy and velocity is what you are looking for I would recommend the 400 Cor-Bon. Standard magazines work as well as any standard 1911 can just get a barrel swap to the 400 Cor-Bon. This allows you to use 45ACP for practice and if you want a hotter load, you just swap out the barrel to the 400 Cor-Bon.

Of course this is all just my opinion...do what ever you like...but I'll take a G20 over a 10mm 1911 any day.

All of this is very new to me so I am open to any ideas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
I really like the looks of the Springfield Armory pieces as well.
My intentions are to use this handgun for target shooting(heavy on this) and occasionally deer hunting(when everthing is rite)so thats where my desire for the 10mm comes from
I heard and gathered that the 45acp was not one to use on deer but if I am wrong or misunderstood (usually what happens)then getting one in 45acp would make things way easier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Undoubtedly, you can kill deer with a .45ACP, but it's less than ideal. The 10mm would be far better for that purpose, I believe. I've always been intriqued by the caliber, but as of yet have not owned one. Near .41 mag power in a semi-auto? What's not to like about that? I do not think Colt makes the Delta Elite 10 anymore, but I might be wrong.

Quote:
colt doesn't make the delta elite anymore????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Sadly, Colt hasn't made the Delta Elite for years now and there are no plans to reintroduce it. MI VHNTR

There are a few other options. Any .40 S&W Steel 1911 can be converted to 10mm by either a barrel reaming or fitting a new barrel. I am thinking about one of the new Taurus 1911s in .40 when they come out. Also, EAA offers a Witness Match and Witness Hunter, each in 10mm. The Match, is, apparently, quite a pistol for the price.

That said, I think the Glock 20 has the best reputation overall in the 10mms.

Hey thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
That being said can you feasably fire 40 s&w in a 10mm chamber ?

Last edited:
Can't shoot a .40 cal out of a 10mm or you won't.

You certainly can because I've done it. The only difference is the case length. They don't feed reliably from the mag and it causes excesive crud to build up in the chamber so that you won't be able to chamber a 10mm after a few rounds but it can be done. It's not something I would do on a regular basis but it could save your life in a pinch.

Just like you can shoot .38 cal in a .357 revolver or 44 special in a 44 mag, the only difference is the case length. If you shoot enough 38s in your 357 without cleaning, you will eventually have a hard time forcing the mag round to seat in the cylinder.

You can also shoot a .41 cal pistol round in a 410 ga shotgun although I wouldn't make a habit out of it.

You can shoot 22 CB cap, shorts, and longs in a 22 long rifle chamber. Not recommended for auto loaders because after a while the long rifle will not seat in the chamber so most are marked long rifle only. The list goes on and on.

Just keep in mind if you ever had a malfunction that damaged you or the gun doing this, you won't be covered by the warrantee.

If you want a .40 in a 10mm, just get a different barrel, and you may need to spring it down to get reliability. It's a common 10mm tactic to get cheap practice ammo. I think .40 barrels are fairly common for most 10mms. You can also put a 357 Sig barrel in a 10mm.

if you want a reliable 10mm find one of the S&W610 revolvers if you want a 1911 buy a 45acp the delta elite was a nice pistol but it had its problems most autos were not and are not designed to handle the recoil and speed at witch the 10mm operates.... i carry and have carried for work and personal protection and all things being equal the 1911 is the best fighting impliment ever built i love my 1911's and wont trust my life my families life of that of my clients, to anything but the 1911 and prefferably the springfields, wilson's or les baer's the kimbers are junk and colt's should only be used for paper weights.

Back