Zaleski (OH) Report and Questions

harjo02

Report: I went to Zaleski this morning to scout for turkeys and do a little coyote calling (my first time ever). I wasn't taking the coyote calling too seriously but I did 4 stands for about 20 mins each. I didn't see any. I saw some footprints next to a creek and 2 piles of scat with a lot of hair in each.

Questions: Since this was my first time I was flying blind (except what I've learned from this forum! Thanks, btw!!). Does Zaleski have a huntable population of coyotes? I walked about 2 miles across the tops of ridges and set up every half mile or so. I was using cottontail call from about 9:30 to noon. Is this about right? I didn't have a lot of confidence in mysellf yet so I want to get someone's quick take on my morning just so I don't get too frustrated second guessing everyting I do.

By the way, I didn't see or hear any turkey or see any sign. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks

yes, zaleski has coyotes..
right now is a good time to be using the turkey sounds to be calling coyotes in..
i have called in numerous coyotes while turkey hunting in southern ohio using yelps and other sounds..

as far as confidence just keep trying and pay close attention to the wind on your setups and it will pay off eventually.

Welcome,

I don't think you need to move so far between setups. In the big woods I walk the ridges and drop down over the edges in a hollow and call. That way you will call more acres and up your chances of a coyote hearing you. Sometimes I only move a couple hundred yards

I think your call will work. Early morning and late evening seem to be the most productive for me.

Good luck, Rich

Back