bow hunting turkey....

yote_hunter_union

well iv been hunting turkey for 3 years and every year i bring home a turkey so im thinking about maken it a lil harder...should i go to a head shot or should i go for a body shot...i can hit it in the head 20 yards or closer if it will stay still long a nuff so what do u guys think??? im going to be using 90gr 4 blade mussys, hoyt havoctec and ill be hunting from a blind...anyone else nuts a nuff to try to kill one with a bow in the spring???

Ryan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Got my first bowkilled gobbler last May. A head shot is certainly fatal, but most experienced turkey archers take body shots. I think the reason why is the head is a smaller target that moves a lot more than the larger chest area. If the bird is facing you, aim for the base of the beard. If walking away, aim for the center of the back so your arrow will exit at the base of the beard. If he's strutting with the fan facing you,(a great time to draw) you'll want the arrow right up the pooper. Broadside your target will be the base of the wing. A turkey's vitals are much higher in the body than a deer and a low shot hits nothing but breastmeat and a lost gobbler. A lot has been made of the guillotine broadheads and they definitely work, but they are not legal everywhere. My bird was walking straight away when I took the shot at 25 yards. He had about a foot of arrow showing on the exit side at the base of his beard. The gobbler turned and ran right toward the blind and piled up only 20 feet away in some honeysuckle at the edge of the field. Just about had a coronary right then. LOL It was definitely the coolest thing I've done in 25 years of hunting, but not for the faint of heart. Good luck!

I also got my first with a bow last spring. I love it! I like using my mech. broadheads for turkeys, because I like the extra wide cut and that extra wide 1 3/4" cut may very well stay in the bird. The bird I shot last year was broadside at 35 yards and after the shot, you could see the blood pumping out and he never made it more than 20 yards and was dead!
One part of bow hunting I like, is the use of the blind and the fact that you can sit in a chair and visit with your hunting buddy with some movement, and not ruin the hunt! Just 4 more days and it's off to KS. for the early archery season!
The two big downsides to the guillotine is that you have to have longer arrows than normal for the blades to clear the sights on your bow AND I have yet to hear of a way to practice with them without ruining the blades!

Last edited:
Back