feral hogs pigs ???

White Eagle

This maybe a stupid question but are feral hogs pigs just dometic animals that got under the fence.
We don't have many round these parts so I am pretty much in the dark on the subject.Also is the meat edible???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

yes to both questions. Feral by definition is a domesticated animal that has reverted back to being wild because of lack of human supervision. Thus feral horses, donkeys, cats, hogs, dogs
From Wikipedia:
A feral organism is one that has escaped from domestication and returned, partly or wholly, to its wild state. Rarely will a local environment perfectly integrate the feral organism into its established ecology. Therefore, feral animals and plants can cause disruption or extinction to some indigenous species, affecting wilderness and other fragile ecosystems.

Yep, they're just little piggies that didn't want to 'go to town'.... Missouri has a 'shoot on sight' standard...

While I don't go out of my way hunting them,, I have seen the after effect of a car hitting one on the road and when it rolls under the vehicle, the vehicle gets high centered on it and then there is no control whatever... hitting a deer is a lot less dangerous.

Yes, just what CharlieBee said. There is also some influence of 'russian' hogs in some areas. These are the black razor backed hogs. I have heard that they were brought here(continental U.S.) many years ago for 'sport', and have since spread their genes among the escaped domestic hogs. I have cought them that were anywhere from solid black to almost white with every color pattern in between.Maintain

Oh yeah, and they are edible

Back