predator calibers....give me your thoughts

ckmate69

I've been using a 22 hornet on foxes, but is it too light for coyotes? (haven't shot one yet). Also, was wondering if readers could give their opinions on the .204 ruger, .223, or any others that would be suitable for coyotes without too much pelt damage. Does the .223 have any knockdown issues at long range? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I don't know about the 22 hornet for coyotes, but the 204 is the cats meow. The 223 will work better if you don't reload because of the cheap ammo, 204 ammo is like $16 a box /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Hope this helps.

I shoot a .223 99% of the time, with great success. On occasions, I will take my Ruger 77 .243 Win. Either gun knocks their dobbers in the dirt.

Don't knock that Hornet, I've shot coyotes with it and it will get the job done with good bullet placement. Just don't expect it to be a 200 yard gun.

Chris

Honestly i thimk the .204 is the way to go,low recoil, fast and flat,puts them down quick.I like the .223 also but the bullet drop is a bit too much for point and shoot at longer ranges,and i have had more dogs get away with the .223 knockdown just wasnt as effective as the .204 and little pelt damage too.thats my take on it...

If it's to far for the 223 you need to move up to a 22-250 or 243 for increased knock down power at long range.

The 223 is probably one of the best if not the best 22 center fires for an all around small varmint and predator round.

Lots of cheap brass available as well as loaded rounds.

As stated above your Hornet will definately get the job done out to about 150 yards. The coyote in my avatar was taken with a Ruger M77 Hornet. It was what I had to work with until I just recently purchased a .223. The Hornet has served very well because most of my calling is in thick woods, so a shot over 100 yards is never a real necessity for me.

I'd be afraid the .204 wouldn't be too fur friendly on fox (from what I've been told) if you are planning on using it as a dual species rifle.

Your problem is going to be getting sure DRT shots while saving fur on both fox and coyotes. Unless you have some giant foxes or some midget coyotes, they are too different in size for one round/load to be ideal for both.

The hornet will work on coyotes at shorter ranges and with proper shot placement, but you either wind up not taking shots that you would not hesitate to take with a larger cartridge, or you will have a greater number of wounded runners.

The .223 will work on foxes, but you will have a greater number of ruined pelts than with a hornet.

As with most things, a compromise means something that works more or less in a number of circumstances, but isn't ideal for any. You just have to decide which side of the compromise is better for your needs, circumstances, and abilities.

Your Hornet will work fine for as long as the barrel lasts. The .223 is great out to three hundred yards but gets a bit problematic after that. the 243 or 22-250 is the go to gun of choice depending on where you live. I have no experiance with the 204 but my Son in Law swears by My daughters or at since she out shoots him every chance she gets.

I don't care about the fur. So in Jan-Feb I use whatever will handle the wind. 7mm mag 139 gr or 338 215 gr. A Nikon range finder and a couple of mouth callers from Cronk. For you non iowa members we have incredible winds. I have not had a successively season like 0 so far.
Jim

One rifle will not do a good job for both! Foxes are delicate critters, while coyotes require a little oomph.
Anything that won't make a mess of the foxes will limit you on the yotes unless you just hunt the thick stuff.....then I'd stay with your hornet and carefully pick your shots. Otherwise, I agree with Steve. If you reload, the possibilities are endless!
F1

Back