Don't be afraid to shorten that barrel.

d2admin

Administrator
Bored out of my skull lately, waiting for the weather to cooperate so I can go out thru the brush. Had a factory 223 barrel laying on the bench, and an empty xp100 action laying here. The barrel was one that I replaced, being it would only shoot maybe 1 1/4" I figured I NEEDED a shorter light weight rifle for digger squirrels. I cut the factory barrel to 20 inches and recrowned. Filled the mag well and all holes in a Rem 700 long action stock, glueing in peices of hardwood dowell with acu glass compound. Re inletted it, made some aluminum columns, fit the xp action. Put on a standard 700 trigger. Leupold 6.5x20 scope, Hornady 55 gr with 2230 powder. The groups shrunk from 1 1/4 to just under 3/4 inch. actually .668 for four groups. This will make a big difference on those 200 yard shots at diggers. And, it is short and light. Yea it gives up a little velocity, I dont know how much yet, but the wind of the bullet going by never killed anything. Got to have that accuracy. Just for anyone interested in rainy day projects.

------------------
God guns and guts made this country what it USED to be

Some times shorter is better , or at least just as good. I shoot a 20in 22-250 it shoots .500's to .700's if I do my part.

Am I missing something here, or is an XP-100 a handgun? I thought that it was one of those bolt action "handguns" but could be mistaken I suppose. If it is indeed a handgun, does the remington 700 barrel fit it or how did you have a stock barrel to "cut down" surely the handgun barrels arent over 20 inches!
Like I said, I could be totally wrong, if so, please forgive me, but I always thought that the XP-100 was a handgun.

yea the xp100 is a handgun. It is the same action as the 600/660/model 7 Remington. The bolts interchange. The rifle versions are cut for a magazine, the origional xp was single shot. Benchrest shooters have been converting xp actions to bench rifles for years, more rigid because of no magazine cut on the bottom. They make an EXCELLENT single shot rifle, any of the barrels off of the models mentioned will fit. Not all will be accurate, because of headspace/bolt nose fit. This action is one I have used for bench rifles. I have three barrels in various versions of 222 for it. It is legal to make the xp into a rifle, but not to make a pistol from any of the rifle actions. For more info email me J

I try to, just my own and friends. I have a lathe and taught myself to cut threads and chamber. Love messing with them.Do not have a ffl so cannot do commercial smithing

------------------
God guns and guts made this country what it USED to be

Back