My Tikka Sporter Arrived Today

Silverfox

This is one sweet looking gun. I gave it a real good cleaning and oiled the parts that need oiling. I was somewhat surprised by the amount of brownish/black muck that came off the grooves on the top of the receiver. Does anyone know if this might have been some type of preservative oil/grease they applied at the factory or was it the start of rust? The wood is aboslutley beautiful! It feels superb and the grip is just great! I'll try to snap some pictures and post them in the near future.

One minor problem I can see now. The 22-250 Master Sporter doesn't have a front sling stud to mount my bipod on. It has a special channel into which you slide a device that has the metal loop to fasten the sling onto, but no stud with a hole in it. There is just an allen headed set bolt that holds this device in the special channel. The back has a regular sling stud. I'd appreciate a bonafide, easy solution to this problem.

Also, the magazine is a tad too short for the length of my loaded rounds. Can I buy the .243/.308 magazine and use that to accommodate my longer than standard loaded rounds??? Or do I have to shoot this rifle like a single shot?

I ordered the Tikka Deluxe Optilock scope mounts in the high mount height. It is supposed to accommodate scope lens up to 75 to 83mm. Right now, my Burris 6-18X scope has a 51mm objective end on it. Are these rings and bases going to be a little too high? The Medium set is for scope lends ends from 65 to 73mm and the low set is for 55 to 63 mm. Let me know what you think. Thanks, in advance, for any and all help.

Sounds like a sweet gun for sure! As far as the gunk you got off it, my guess is grease, many companies put a type of grese on there to keep rust off the gun during shipping and storing, thats what I would say it is. As far as the magazine, I am not sure, I have read that it can be done, they do say that you cant make them reach the lands with that mag for sure. As far as scopemounts, that sounds pretty dang hight! Even the low one sounds awfully high to me? I have never even heard of a 75mm objective lens scope! Only one way to find out I guess, mount it up and see how it works!
Good luck, lets see some pics asap!

Silverfox:

You might want to look at Millett scope rings too. I've got them on my Tikka.223 Model 595.I adjusted the trigger and I think it's actually better than a Remington. That's saying something too. These rifles shoot so well that you may not be wanting any semi custom rifles. These seem to have it all. Good luck and enjoy your new gem. Keep in touch with us and this rifle. Sounds Like you live in coyote heaven.

Barry

I just sold the Tikka thatI had been shooting last year.I can offer some info. Drill and put a stud behind the channel.It will take about 5 min. As for the mag, you can get a 243 mag or remove some material in the front of the mag with a half round file.My last one the mag was polymer and I just filed it out alittle.

Duane, when you say drill and put a stud behind the channel, exactly where are you suggesting I drill this hole in relation to the front end of the bottom of the stock? Here is a photo of the bottom side of the stock with the channel visible. Do I place the hole in the existing hole in the metal channel towards the barrel end of the stock or drill a new hole in the metal?

View

Thanks for your help Duane.

That black muck sounds like real trouble. Send that rifle down to Arizona and i'll do some testing. Should have it back to you by next December.

I didn't realize you had an accesory rail.now you have a few options, they make a bar with a regular stud on it that will slide into that rail,or drill a hole into the wood thru the existing hole closer to the muzzle and screw in a wood type stud. Or drill an over size hole ,glass in an aluminum or mild steel bushing.and drill and tap the bushing for a stud with the machine srew thread.

Duane--Thanks, I think I'll try drilling a hole in the wood, right where the existing hole is in the top end of the rail. I wonder if I'll have enough of the sling stud sticking out of the rail to get a bipod attached???

Encore223--I really hate to burden you with my black muck troubles, so I think I'll keep the rifle up here in ND. Maybe in 10 or 15 years, when I have the black muck problem solved, you can send a postal money order for $700 deposit and I'll let you test the rifle in Arizona. Of course, when you send the rifle back to me (undamaged, or course), I'll be happy to refund at least 50% of the deposit.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

This rifle is going to stay with me for quite a while. It really feels good when I bring it up to my shoulder. The grip area is perfect. I have short arms, so when I find a rifle that fits me, it is a keeper.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. Now, if someone can tell me whether I need the low, medium, or high Tikka Optiplex mounting system, I'd be in seventh heaven.

[This message has been edited by Silverfox (edited 03-22-2001).]

i'd really recommend prolonged exposure to lots of sunlight to help with that black muck problem. UltraViolet rays will destroy the negative chemical interaction that black muck (or bluck, as it is sometimes called) has on the metal of your fine rifle.

Now, Bismarck, ND has an average annual sunshine rate of 2658 hours. Phoenix is 3752. i can get your exposure work done in one summer/fall cycle down here.

Interesting that you would charge me, as i was just about to mention that i would NORMALLY bill you for the service but thought i'd do you a favor.....
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Silverfox, use a long stud and slide a sleeve over it.Kind of like a thick washer.This will put your stud far enough out for the bi pod,but the stud can be screwed in tight.I would be able to post a pic, if I wasn't such a dummy when it comes to computers.

Silverfox sounds like a great rifle. I recently bought a Tikka in .17 Rem and it won't be my last Tikka. When I bought it the dealer was out of Tikka rings so he put a set of the millet low rings for a Tikka on it. I have a Vari X II with a 40mm objective lens on the rifle and the clearance is about the same as the Leupold med rings that I have on my 700 Rem.'s and it looks like there is room for a 50mm objective. The dealer claimed I could put a 50mm on if I wanted to. I don't know if that helps or not, the Tikka rings may be a bit diffrent.

------------------
Chuck

Back