Scopes for handguns

Elk

Hey all,
First time poster, short time lurker here. I have hunted coyotes for a couple of years with a .223 rifle, now want to go at 'em with my Contender - same caliber, 14" barrel. I've been playing around with scopes and was wondering what you all are partial to. I started out with a Leupold's 3-9X handgun scope, then switched to a 2X rifle scope for a while. Just recently I put on a Tasco 1.5 - 4X handgun scope. Thought I'd like it, but can't seem to get used to the LONG eye relief.

No doubt about it, the long eye relief is really different. But it really is the way to go on a handgun. I began scoped handgun hunting way back when I bought a new Remington XP-100 in .221 Fireball. That was so long ago that it only had a 4-digit serial number. I mounted a Bushnell Phantom 1.3X scope on it. It had a tiny tube, and the crosshairs would completely cover a jackrabbit at 100 yards. If you are not familiar with this scope, let me assure you that you have not really missed anything!

Since then, I have used a variety of red-dot scopes, a Redfield 4X, a Redfield 2-6X, and have 2 Leupold 2X scopes. All the above are EER, or extended eye relief. The 2-6X is nice when you have plenty of time. The latest generation red-dots are the fastest for target acquisition. The best compromise, and my favorites for most moderate-range hunting, are the Leupold 2X scopes.

------------------
Critr
www.SaguaroSafaris.com
fea6c171.jpg

Welcome Elk yeah that long eye relief can really get to you at time. I am running a 2x7 on my Contender the scope is made by contender too. I also have a few tasco, and bushnell mounted all on different handguns and it take some getting use to..

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Jason's Gun Room
Quality Custom Gunsmithing

Thanks for the info guys. I got to thinking about the differences in hunting tactics up here in the northeast as opposed to out your way... My typical setup is in wooded areas, either against or up a tree with a decoy and electronic or mouth calls. My success has been limited to a rifle to this point, and if I get a response, my shot opportunities are often under 100 yards. That being said, would you still opt for the longer eye relief. If so, why?

Elk,

With my limited experience with handgun scopes, and in fact, my antipathy to them in other than a singleshot, my vote goes for a riflescope in anything that won't come back on me so enthusiastically as to put me in the half-moon club ...

Daggone eye relief made me crazy, too!
biggrin.gif

Tom

------------------
It doesn't matter which pro-gun/hunting outfit you support, but do support ONE, anyway!

Swift,
Gotta agree with you on the bigger bores. I also have a 14" 30-30 bbl that's a bit of a mule. Wouldn't even think of topping it off with a rifle scope.

Hi, Elk...
I have a 14" 30/30 on my Contender also. I have a Bushnell Trophy 3-6 on it. My 10" 44 mag HAD a BSA 32mm dot scope on it... I said "had" for a good reason. I found that the recoil started to bend the threaded rods that attach the built in Weaver style rings to the scope base. I loved the "dot" it was fantastic on running shots, you can keep both eyes open! I am going to get another dot scope for my 44, but it will be a GOOD dot scope! I get to look at a good many scopes and dot scopes at work. Out of all of them I like the Tasco dots, but I like the Holo Sight a little better. Leupold pistol scopes are some of the best (had one on a 22 hornet barrel, sold them both
frown.gif
... wish I hadn't), Burris scopes are right there with them.

Back