And I need scope advice from the experts....

d2admin

Administrator
Would Mil-Dot or Rangefinding capabilites in a scope be preferable in long range predator hunting? (150-250 yards). Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Geeze. I'm no kind of expert, but I do have opinions...
Some guys really seem to like mil-dots and etc.
For relatively short range - under 300 yards - I find that stuff just clutters the scope view too much. At longer range, I just don't want to do the math...
biggrin.gif
I'll use a laser rangefinder instead, and refer to my range card.
My half-vast opinion.
biggrin.gif

------------------
It doesn't matter which pro-gun/hunting outfit you support, but do support ONE, anyway!

Thanks swifter! I just purchased an M1A and am scoping it with a Springfield Armory scope...don't ask me why..I just love the rifle. Soo, I'm scoping it with a SA scope to make it match...it's a mental problem I think, anyway that's why I asked the question, they offer both mil-dot and rangefinder models. The guy I purchased it from is keeping the scope.

By-the-way, I'm just south of you in Diamond Bar right now.

Thanks again!

------------------
Bob
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

Lost Mountain Ranch
www.LostMountainHunts.com

On Predators for .308win, If you sight your scope in at 100 yards then out to 200 you'll be off by about 1.5 inches... Basically lay the crosshairs on Target and let her fly ... a longer ways out to say 400, just lay the horizontal crosshair on the beasts back, then adjust for fire (if needed) ...

On SA Rangefinder scopes, the main crosshairs are designed to be sighted in at 200 yards... (so at 100 yards the bullet impacts ~1.5 inches high)

I have the 4-14x56 SA Govt Model Gen 2 with the rangefinder on it and I like it alot. It is a very bulky scope though.

The SA rangefinder concept is easier to grasp and quick-calculate for field use than the mil-dot is for predator purposes for me personally.

The 7.62 SA scopes are calibrated for 168 BTHP with 2550 (?) fps... so if you hand load or use different bullets, it will be off slightly. I havent had any significant differences... using 173, 165, 175 and 155 when shooting Prairie Dogs, of course I re-sigthed in the scope with the different loads.

Robb

------------------
"Happiness... is a Target-Rich Environment"

paws2.gif

[This message has been edited by Robb/Scottsdale/AZ (edited 05-03-2001).]

I bow to Rob's greatness....Thanks again to both of you. I'm not planning on becoming a sniper, so I think with my limited intelligence I better go with the rangefinder.

Is this a great site or what?
smile.gif

------------------
Bob
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

Lost Mountain Ranch
www.LostMountainHunts.com

When critters are coming to a call , the less clutter I have in my scope the better.
I like to use a range finder and range a few land marks when I first set up in a spot I'm not familiar with.That way when things start to happen I know the approx distance of my shot. That my thoughts.

------------------
www.varminthunters.com/shooters

FWIW..

The Range Markings in the SA scope are pretty thin and you end up looking right through them/past them w/o any problems when your focused on the target itself.

The Internal level (to let you know if your cant'ed to one side or the other) is a pretty cool feature too....

Robb

------------------

paws2.gif

Big jerk,I also think the M1A is a great rifle,I also agree with the other guys clutter in the scope when calling,There great at 500yds or futher.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Robb,
Was wondering about that internal cant level in the SA scopes. It would seem to me that for years we have been trying to keep moisture out of scopes, now SA goes and puts some in. I was just wondering if I am being overly cautious, but it seems that if that little thing ever snapped, there goes your hunt. Have you ever heard of this happening?

Big,
Well here is my opinion on the Mil-Dot controversy. I really think they are a cool feature, BUT most people will not take the time to learn how to use one. Or they "think" they know how to use one. Those little marks are in mil-radians, and there is (maybe was) an interesting article on snipercountry.com about them and how they work. Also the Burris site had some info on them. If you decide to go that route, make sure you practice learning to use them and learn the math that goes with them, or they are money wasted.

Currently I am also thinking about my next scope. I have looked at models from Burris, Leopold, and Weaver. I think I am going to get a Burris with the illuminated reticle, which I think means that mil-dots are automatically disqualified. I dont think you can have both on the same scope, at least not in the Burris line. (I am still researching this)This is because most of my hunting is done at night.

------------------
Safety, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy

[This message has been edited by Tackdriver (edited 05-07-2001).]

Can't say that Ive heard of the Cant "level" leaking, but if something happened to the scope that caused it to break or leak, I guess that might be just _one_ of the problems you had on your hands... and probably the least noticeable...

The SA scopes are "rated" for .50BMG applications so they are intended for some heavy duty stress...

The Cant indicator is really helpful, youd be surprised how often you think your level, but your way off. Doesnt make a whole lot of difference on Coyotes to 200 yards, but past that, it starts adding up, particularly on the smaller targets.

I havent been to SniperCountry in a lonnnggg time but man, what a resource when it comes to building a serious rifle (mainly 308 and 300WMag) but good info all the way around on camo, optics, all kinds of neat stuff.

Lincoln NE, have you tried much calling on the South side of Yankee Hill WMA around the creek inlet ? It was getting more and more developed last time I was out that way.... Good Carp bow-shooting in that creek too...

Robb

------------------

paws2.gif

Back