Choke -- MOD/Steel VS MOD/Lead

d2admin

Administrator
What's the difference between a shotgun choke marked Modified--Steel and one marked Modifie--Lead?

What difference does the shot make?

The modified for steel will have less constriction. (more open)

Since steel does not compress like lead shot it needs a slightly more open choke. You may run the risk of damaging a barrel if you were to use a full for lead choke while shooting steel. Sometimes you'll see chokes marked "Full for Steel/Modified for lead"

I've had the best luck shooting #2 3" steel out of a Improved Cylinder Remchoke. Which is basically a "modified for steel" choke.

Is that confusing enough for ya

Chuck

Okay, so if i use a choke marked MOD/Steel Shot with regular lead shot, i should expect improved cylinder performance.

Your right on the mark Encore!

If you know any seasoned trap or sporting clays shooters they can give you more info than you'll ever use about chokes and the amount of constriction thats required to make a given load pattern the best.

Chuck

Chuck hit it right on the money-The fastest? way to ruin a choke is to shoot steel through a choke that is not marked for steel shot. MP

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Duane,

Sorry for the late reply I kind lost track of this topic over the weekend.

I shoot trap almost weekly and on a couple of leauges in this area. I love 5 stand sporting clays it's my favorite by far!

Chuck

Back