Sight in with 2 shots

Elk

I heard about this from a friend the other day, thought I would share it with you all. Clamp your gun down to a shooting bench (or a SOLID rest, fire one shot, and adjust your scope to where the first round hit. It's a real simple way to zero in and works great as long as you can hold the gun in place for both shots.

Not necessary to hold in vise on the first shot. Just shoot at the bullseye, then line up reticle on the bullseye again, then move the crosshairs up to the point of bullet impact while keeping the gun steady on bags or vise. Shoot again at bullseye. It should be very close, anyway.
smile.gif

I just repeated almost everything you said, didn't I? I didn't clamp mine down and it worked perfectly!
------------------
Bye y'all
yotewalk.gif

B. Pierce

[This message has been edited by songdogger (edited 05-17-2001).]

I use this method alot at our clubs yearly sight-in. Since we allow the gun owners to sight their own guns in, we start them off at 25 yards to make sure their on the paper before they move to the longer ranges. We have them in the black within 2 or 3 shots most of the time. Most are overjoyed to move off the 25yd range so quickly. Every once-in-awhile we have a shooter who fells he/she just has to shoot 5 or 10 round groups to prove to themselves that they're on the mark, they just can't believe sighting their rifle can be done with only a quarter box of shells.

Just a note, we see some shift (generally not a lot, less than a inch or so) in the impact point on variable scope when changing from low to higher powers, so we have our shooters use a mid range power setting to minimize the shift.

Back