Browning Composite Stalker Article

CRhodes

Have any of you had a chance to read this article in the June Shooting Times?? Rick Jamison did the testing and his conclusions were pretty dismal for a rifle that cost $1700 dollars.

Quick overview:

The Composite barrel showed no significant advantages over a steel barrel in heat dissipation.

The Accuracy overall average was 2.25" on the 9 loads that were tested.

The rifle was chambered in 22-250 with a 22" barrel. The velocity readings sure reflected the barrel length! most readings were in the low 35's except for a 40 gr. factory load that went 3874 fps.

In a way it's kind of refreshing to see a writer give an unbiased appraisal and not be in the back pocket of the Gun Manufacturer.

Chuck

C R,
Yes that is indeed sad performance from a 1700.00 rifle. Gee if they are gonna make a barrel out of plastic what do they expect?
smile.gif
Composite barrel? LOL I will stay with old fashioned Chrome moly myself.

I read the article you're talking about. At first, I thought neat looking rig. Barrels a mite short for a .22-250, but if the guns a shooter, oh well. However, that thing just flat doesn't shoot, even if they're ten shot groups, for $1700.00 the thing had better shave a nickle. At least a quarter, but 2 1/2+ inches?

------------------
"Doing the Right thing isn't always easy, but it's always RIGHT!"

Chuck
You and I have had this discussion last year on PC. If you remember, You were talking about the a-bolt composite "the New canoe that Browning was paddleing." I misunderstood and thought you were talking about the stock, and I made the comment that someone could build a nice gun with that much money. (yes, I have a good memory) I totally agree with you on the barrel. I haven't had much experience with high caliber carbon fiber barrels. It seems to me that it would be hard to get consistent vibration harmonics out of such a barrel.
I'm no expert, that is just my opinion. If Jamison was only able to get 2.00+ out of that barrel, I would agree with you that browning is pushing something that may not work. But I still like the A-bolt Stainless with the production barrel. The 25-06 I have used is pretty decent.
BTW-With no muzzle brake!
biggrin.gif
Take care, MP

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Mike,

That would be a $1700.00 "canoe paddle"

The story only proves the point I was trying to make back then. And like I said in my previous post It's nice to see a gunwriter not be held hostage by the gunmaker.

Chuck

I like Jamison. His articles are technical enough to be usefull, and he reports his data so you can evaluate it it yourself.

There was a similar review a year or more back on the Remington 700 with a carbon fiber barrel. As I recall, the accuracy they got was also unacceptable to me, given the price (also around $1800). I think most loads went around 1.5 inches or more at 100 yards, don't remember any smaller than that. I have a 700 VLS in 22-250 with a chrome moly barrel that out of the box easily shot under an inch.

There are 3 claims made for these new barrels: 1) light weight, 2) Less effected by heat/faster cooling and 3) supposedly greater accuracy due to the carbon fiber wrap making the barrel stiff.

Light weight is obviously true. Rick's article throws great doubt on the heating/cooling claims, and both reviews have done nothing to instill any confidence in accuracy.

If I ever spend that much money of a rifle, that puppy better be a shootin' son of a gun or I'm gonna be hacked off.

------------------
"When They turn the pages of history,
When these days have passed long ago.

Will they read about us in sorrow,
for the seeds that we let grow?" - RUSH, "A Farewell To Kings"

I've got a Rem 700 Composite and am really liking it. Still working loads up but if I have to accept what I have now, I can live with it. Using Hornady 50 VMax, 33 gr 322, and seating .010 off lands. Getting between .377 and and .550 consistantly. Also, taking temp readings on the barrel and shooting 20 rounds with only taking time to reload and sight (about 4 rounds per min average) the barrel has not gotten over 127 degrees on a 87 degree day.

If you shop around, you can find a good deal on these guns. They don't seem to be selling like hotcakes and prices can be found in the even $1000 range.

Only down I've found is it has taken longer to break in the barrel than I expected. I have fired about 100 arounds now and itis not fouling as bad.

Back