17/22-250

picked this up today with 100 rounds of brass and dies but no load data anyone have an idea where to start?

------------------
"If you are not free to choose wrongly and irresposibly, you are not free at all" JACOB HORNBERGER(1995)

I nearly latched on to a rifle of this caliber once, and was researching and asking questions all over the place trying to find data, but didn't have much luck.

I was curious to see a 25 caliber HP meet a coyote at 5000+ fps, which I guess this round is capable of. Maybe try at the Varmint's Den? http://www.varminthunters.com/

Good Luck--let us know how it shoots and how FAST it shoots!

Tom T.

[This message has been edited by TomT (edited 05-27-2001).]

WOW, a 17/22-250. That should be a barrel burner! HAHA. Anyway, I have a 17/222 and was told as far as load data, to drop 15% down from the regular 222 loading and start there and work up. Before using that method, I managed to find a reloading book with some data for that round, and used that, but it was about 15% less than normal 222.
I don't think that I would try that with the 22-250, without someone more experienced than me to guide you. Should be a FUN round, and hard on the coyotes too. Good luck.

I know It's listed in my ackley manuals. I'll have to try and find them over the weekend and I'll get back with you on Monday.

Chuck Rhodes

This is right out of the Ackley manual Vol. II.

.17 Flintstone Super Eyebunger
(.17/22-250)

"This is the largest .17 caliber tested. Obviously it is somewhat overbore capacity. With maximum loads the 25gr bullet will penetrate a half inch of mild steel(velocity approx. 4500fps).

The following loads were developed in a 24" barrel and the maximum loads listed may be too hot for some other rifle, therefore maximum loads should be worked up to with care."

25gr. bullet

33 gr. 4320 powder 4200fps
34 4320 4255
35 4320 4348

36 4350 powder 4150fps
37 4350 4220
38 4350 4444

That's all that is listed, I hope this helps and be warned--- the Ackley manual is often overly optomistic on the amount of powder you can cram in a case and still walk away. Many of his standard loads are very warm by todays standards. I would look into some of the new powders that are slow burning and hopefully smaller grained (easier to load). Where you'll get a starting point who knows? It may not be too much of a problem to come up with a conservative starting point and work up from there. I'd take that conservative point and reduce it by another 5-10% though as the little .17s are known to spike rather rapidly. Good luck and I hope you have a real "eyebunger!"

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often

Matt

Back