Barrel Care

shotgun

Since there are always a number of answers and opinions to any single question, I'm going to ask for some a&o's:

What kind of solvent/cleaner works the best with these high speed bitty bullets that we seem to shoot in 1:9 and 1:11 barrels?

ALso, do you plug the barrel and let it sit overnight?

How often during a year do you do it assuming 500-1000 rounds a season?

Does this really work or is it somke and mirrors?

Shotgun
I will clean my 223 or 22-250 after every 75 to 100 rounds, which can be as much as 4 times or more a month depending on what I'm doing.

I will use shooters choice solvent, let the bore soak, sometimes for 30 minutes, use a copper brush, push out the fouling with a patch, then repeat untill the patch comes out pretty clean. I have heard of people soaking their barrels overnight. I'm sure that it would be fine, as long as the solvent didn't leak from the barrel.

For copper fouling, I use Sweets 762, but I'm sure other brands work just as well. I will coat the barrel with this, and let it sit a while. (maybe 20 to 30 minutes) Then push out the fouling and repeat the process untill the patch does not have any blue on it.
Then I would run a oil patch to lightly oil the barrel. I will then run another dry patch through on the guns I know I'm going to shoot again with the next 2 to 3 weeks.

If your gun barrel was broken in (Cleaned every shot for the first dozen or so),then the copper cleaning process will be reduced. Everyone has a slightly different process for breaking in a barrel, I just know what works for me. Good luck,
smile.gif
MP

BTW-It is not uncommon to let a rifle sit for a long time with a solution in it, But you have to be careful with chrome-lined barrels and copper solvent. Copper solvent will oxidize the chrome after a while.(overnight) I found this out when talking with one of the boys at Bushmaster. Their barrels are chrome-lined.

------------------
yotewalk.gif
http://www.predatormasters.com

[This message has been edited by Mike Paul (edited 06-02-2001).]

I remember reading somewhere that use of Sweets after Shooter's Choice is not supposed to be a good idea. The chemicals together are reported to etch your barrel.

You may wish to flush out all remnants of the Shooter's Choice before using the Sweets.

------------------
Regards,

Sharps Shooter.

'74 Sharps... when you care enough to use the very best.

Sharps Shooter,
Welcome to PM!
I would like to see where you read that information. I know bench shooters/gun makers that use the same process. I don't see a problem with steel barrels. If you come across it again, post it, or send it in an e-mail to me. Thanks, MP

BTW-I don't pour Shooters choice in my barrel. I have a little bottle that I use to put the needed amount on my patches and brushes.
smile.gif

------------------
yotewalk.gif
http://www.predatormasters.com

Mike Paul

That article on Shooters Choice and Sweets was in Precision Shooting maybe 4 years ago.
It was about Sweets corroding stainless barrels. The only documented evidence of Sweets corroding stainless was when the barrel had trace amounts of Shooters Choice in it.

There was a follow up article analyziing the chemistry involved several months later. There was one ingredient in SC that caused it. Presumedly that ingredient could be in some other solents, but was not in the more common ones.

Jack
Thanks for the info. I had never heard that before. I have been cleaning my rifles with both solvents for years without a problem including many stainless barrels. I always have cleaned the bore first untill I had a dry patch before useing the sweets. I would like to take a closer look at both articles. Mike Paul

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Sit, stay, lie down! Bad dog!

I did a little bench-rest shooting with Walt Berger and his group. They taught me to run a couple wet patches of Hoppes #9 through, after the Shooters Choice, and before using Sweets, just in case there might POSSIBLY be any adverse reaction.

You want to risk your barrel? I don't. I will continue to follow the advice I received there.

BTW, 3-5 minutes is long enough to leave Sweets in the barrel. Then run another patch of it through. An average barrel will clean up in about 3 passes. A great barrel (I got lucky and have one of those) will clean up the first patch, ie, after the second patch there will be no color on them.

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

CG,
I don't want to ruin a barrel either. Critr-So are you saying that Hoppes solves the problem between useing the 2? I am not trying to argue here guys, I am just trying to learn something. The reason for wanting to read the articles about it is because I would like to know exactly how and why it causes corrosion. I don't doubt Jack or anyone elses word. I hope I'm not comming across that way. I appreciate the input. MP

BTW-you did get a good barrel!

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Sit, stay, lie down! Bad dog!

Yes, the Hoppes is a non-threatening type of chemical. It apparently is a good neutralizing solvent.

I do not know if there is actually a danger of reaction between Shooters Choice and Sweets. Both are good at what they do, so I use both. I just prefer to stay safe....

You might never have an adverse reaction. But once would be too many. It is so easy to prevent.

No one seems to know just why it happens. I suspect that it is more complex than just letting the two get together.

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

I think any solvent which cleaned out the residual SC would work. Hoppes, contact cleaner, acetone, maybe even thorough patching.

When there was first talk about corrosion by Sweets, I took a piece of stainless barrel and mirror polished it, then soaked it in Sweets for 24 hours and there was absolutely no corrosion.

Speaking of perfect barrels, I have never had one. Every center fire barrel I ever used got copper fouling. However my Daughter has a Krieger barrel on a match AR which has NEVER, I repeat NEVER had a hint of copper fouling. Even after firing a 100 shot match, plus sighters, powder fouling only.

Well, isn't this illuminating? Thanks, and Jack; I have heard these suspicions for about four years now, but never knew the source.

For longer than that, I have heard that you need to pick which one you were going to use, and stick with it.

I have also heard the charge that Sweets does something that amounts to microscopic cracks in the metallurgy. I know that match shooters seem to favor Sweets possibly because it is a little more agressive?

I would be careful about plugging the bore and pouring any solvent in it. A wet patch is all that is necessary, in my view.

A by the way. Several years ago, I removed a set of Conetrol rings from a gun and put them in a container and covered them with Hoppes #9. Basically, I forgot about them for at least six months. They were deeply pitted when I checked, I was a little peeved.

Good hunting. LB

Darn, I sure learn a lot from all you guys, thanks for the input.

I have never used either Shooters Choice or Sweets-I must think about that, but for now will stick to old habits. I was curious as to what others did to care for their guns.

My grandfather taught me to clean my gun at the end of every day that I shot it, and I do so religously. We just used Hoppes and occasionally now BC Bore Scrubber, a very stiff wire brush followed with a softer wire brush, followed by hot soapy water, and finish off the barrel with a light oil on a clean cloth and the receiver unit with dry lube. Never have had a weapon failure or problem, regardless of climate, weather, or lack of shooter skill.

Just curious, what is the benefit of Sweets over Hoppes?

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

That's a fair question. Some of us might have presumed this was a well known fact. Hoppes is basically a nitro powder solvent, while Sweets and Shooters Choice are "copper fouling" formulated.

The problem is that the rifle bore becomes fouled from copper jacket material, and Hoppes doesn't cut it. But, as was said by the great Warren Page, it still smells best.
smile.gif
But not nearly as effective on removing copper fouling, so.... now we have other concerns.

Good hunting. LB

Back