284 Comparison

shotgun

I am considering building a 284 based shooter and would like to get some input regarding comparisons between the 6x284 and the 6.5x284.

This shooter will be used for 500-1,000 yd paper punching and for dropping 500 yd varmints. I know that a few may think this strange, but in SW MN many fields are at lease a section or two, very little cover, and the Coyotes just sit out there at 500 yds and laugh. They will not come in during winter and even with snow-flage you may get close at 300 yds. I want to have the reach and balistics to drop them.

Any input or informaiton would be appreciated.

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

Shotgun,
Either one of your choices would be dandy, but then almost everyone has a 6mm-284 except me. I would really take a hard look at the 6.5-284 myself. The larger bore diameter should let you shoot same bullet weight at higher velocity than a 6mm dia. bore. But then on other side of the coin, there sure are a wide variety of bullets to choose from in 6mm. Hard decision for certain.
smile.gif

------------------
pmcatsig.GIF

I don't know... Unless you are determined that it be 284 based, I would look hard at a 300 Win Mag, for what you want to do. Good heavy barrel, muzzle break, put on your ear muffs, and blow 'em away.

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

A 280 Ackley Improved might answer most of your requirements. I'm a little indifferent to the 284W case as a platform, unless it is dictated by the action length. Just personal preferance.

Anybody that has been paying attention would know my solution, so I won't burden you further.

Good hunting. LB

Shotgun, I know someone who could build any of the guns just recomended.The case of either 6.5 or 6 284 will be the same,and in same bullet weight vel will be the same,or close,in same bullet weight the 6mm will be longer , and there for better balistics. But, the 6.5 allows you to shoot heavier bullets.

------------------
www.varminthunters.com/shooters

Thanks guy's for the responses. I'm still like Rich, confused between the two and don't own either.

Critr - I have thought about both my 7mmRM and the 300 WM, but didnt want to get slammed for using howitzers to kill a 35lb critter. Plus they beat the hell out of ya.

Leonard - understood, but I also know nothing about the 280 Ackley Improved.

Duane - I bet I know the same smith, and he will build it. If you could only have one gun would it be the 6 or 6.5? or maybe a 338 Lupa?

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

Shotgun,

I think the Nosler Reloading manual#4 has .280 AI Data in it.

I'm currently working up a 115 gr. bullet 25-06 load that is showing very good results at 300 yards. I plan to take on some milk jugs at farther ranges this weekend. I let you know how it works out.

Chuck

I built a 280AI a couple years ago and have been very pleased with it. It will put out a 180gr bullet almost as fast as a 300 mag, but with a lot better BC. It still kicks like a mule. But is OK in a heavy rifle. Mine is 17lbs, which I consider minimum for repeated shooting.

FWIW, the local who wins all the 1000 yard matches here is shooting a 6.5x284 - but then, in Sheldon's hands, a 22 Hornet might have a fighting chance. I'd look at the 6.5 pretty hard.

Darn won't they leave me alone....now I just read about a 6x300WSM that is a real kick butt for 1000yds. It's got the BC and 4600 fps velocity.....all these toys and no time to make a decision.....What's a guy to do anyhow. I need to go hunting!!!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

The hot 6mms are great, ballisticlly, recoil wise, etc.. If you are hunting, go for it. However, their barrel life makes them almost useless for competition or where you will get many shots.

For example; I shot a 243 in competition and after barrel break in and working up a load, 6 matches would be the end of that barrel. When shooting the 243, I had to rebarrel my own rifle, becase I used 3 barrels a year.

If you are hunting, 1000 rounds may last a lifetime. For competion or prairie dogs or ground squirrels, you may spend more for barrels and fitting than for ammo.

As usual, a very good point is made by Jack.

Barrel life is one of the reasons the 17 Cooper, 17 Ackley Hornet, 17 Jet and 17 Ackley Bee are my new choices for diggers - and these 4 don't foul barrels either. Alas, they do leave me out of the 1000 yard matches though. Hmmmmm - maybe the 17 Javelina R Ackley Improved ... if shot indoors.
biggrin.gif

Back