Remington model 710

ryank

I had the opportuinity to evaluate a Remington 710 in 30-06 today. I have to tell the gun shop owner what I thought of it tommorrow.
frown.gif

Anyway I figured I would tell everyone here first. And remember this is only my opinion.

Until this morning I had never held one in my hands, I'd seen them but never got to play with it. I stopped and picked it up at 8 this morning. Last night I picked some loads that my other 30-06's love to shoot. I got to the range at about 9 and opened the box to see the gray plastic toy that looked like it came straight from KB Toys. First thought was.... 'well it would be a good canidate for a camo paint job.'

I set it into the vise and inserted a snap cap round to get a feel for the trigger. Now most of the time when someone describes trigger pull it is usually with the words "crisp" "light" "heavy". Well I can't use any of them to describe this trigger... so I will use a new description.... 'it felt like someone dumped a can of soda inside and let it dry to make it sticky, and jerky.' Two thumbs down on the trigger pull.

After coming to that conclusion, I ejected the snap cap by opening the "soda soaked" bolt. Another two thumbs down.

I thought to myself that both could be overlooked for now because it was new and maybe it would break in to be decent.

Well it was time to put some live ammo thru the gun, so I took out the clip..... gimme a break! Is it a sin to use metal???

I put a target up at 25 yards... (figured I would start simple) fired 3 shots for a .38 group. hmmmmmmm.......

Cleaned the rifle and put a target at 50 yards... 3 shots .700 group. hmmmm....

Maybe it doesn't like this ammo I thought so I tried something different and the groups got worse.

Best group I got was with Federal Gold Match 168 gr. Boat tails. .35 group at 25 and .65 at 50. So that is the ammo I used for the rest of my evaluation.

Then I decided to get stupid and put a target at 100 yards. (yep it was stupid all right) 2.625 inch group with 3 shots. 5 shots gave a 3.125 group. And this was out of a solid locking vise!!!

Guys this was the worst rifle I have ever had the misfortune of shooting in my opinion. A while ago on Posse Country I made the comment about some guns being nothing but 'Scrap Metal' Well this one didn't have much metal at all on it so I think I could call it 'garbage'.

I am disapointed to see a rifle like that with the well renouned name of "Remington" etched into the plastic.

The price tag on it says sug. retail 389.00
The gun shop said they plan to sell them for 350.00.

Is it worth it?

Sure, if whatever you shoot at is within 25 yards from the end of the muzzle.

What would I do if I was the president of Remington Arms Inc.?

I would fire the engineer that came to me with the idea of that rifle, on the grounds of attempted sabotage of the companies reputation.

My overall rating of the "Gray Garbage disposal feeder" is this....

Trigger= .1
Action= .3
Accuracy= .1
Saftey= .1
Weight= 10. Perfect score on weight, you could pack this gun around all day and not even know it's there.

With and average of 2.12 of a possible 50.0 I would say this is a pretty poor firearm.

The above info is my opinion and my opinion alone. I got a rifle at random and it didn't work up to my standards. This doesn't mean that every model 710 made will give the same results, some will be better and some will be worse. The above is also, by no means, a professional opinion. I am certain that with some extremly fine tuning this rifle may have potential hiding very deep inside.

Anyone care to add anything to the above? Pro's and Con's.

Thanks for your time.
Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the report. It is pretty much what I expected having looked at them. You can still get a Rem 700 ADL Synthetic for $350 so why bother?

Good Hunting,

Bob C.

------------------
“No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, is as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
Thomas Jefferson, June 1776

I'm not a big Remington fan, but I do know they had a job ahead of them to beat the trusty 700. Sounds like the failed miserably. Too bad, an inexpensive, lightweight rifle would sell pretty well I think. IF it shot worth a darn. Oh well, it's just an excuse to stick with my Brownings. Keep us updated if you get your hands on a more respectable specimen.

I picked up and handled one as well at the gun shop yesterday...I guess the look on my face must have been telling, as the proprietor of the joint didn't offer to answer any questions, or even provide the "key" to unlock the bolt--nice "safety" mechanism, eh? What a joke.

Tom T.

After having been a victum of the Remington Viper I can believe anything. What a failure. It didn't last long, this one probably won't either.

Ryan, I was a party to that "scrape heap" dialog, I certainly hope you didn't take all of that to heart. It sure did lay a good foundation for where the 710 is headed, though!

I have never seen or handled a 710, and may never do so since I sure won't be looking for one.

Thanks for the info, Ryan. Makes a guy appreciate what he has.

I went out to the den, got an old 700 up on each knee, and whispered in their ears just how special they are........

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Only problem I have with your report is your math!

After diligently refiggering yer figgers I come up with a grand total of 10.6 out of a possible 50.

Now looked at in this light what does it tell us?

nothing I guess except that perhaps the same block head responsible for this design may have once worked for the outfit that made your calculator.

tongue.gif

10.6 / 5 = 2.12
confused.gif

Not sure, though. Ran out of fingers and had to use some toes, and that may have thrown me off a bit.......
biggrin.gif

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

[This message has been edited by Critr Gitr (edited 06-09-2001).]

Well heck I see the problem now.
Its the averagin! why would you average these figgers. It's a total score out of a possible ,thats how its done isn't it?

LOL

Sorry Craig, I just realized how messed up my wording was after you mentioned it.

Thanks for explaining what I "meant" to say Critr. I also like that idea of showing the 700's how we feel about them. I don't have any kids so I guess my guns and dog are my kids. I am gonna have to start following your example.

Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

Back