Sticky extraction

d2admin

Administrator
Recently purchased a single-shot NEF 223 22" bull barrel for a Survivor rifle, same receiver as a Handi-Rifle.

i'm getting sticky extraction after about 3 shots. Sticky meaning the extractor won't budge the brass. Brass taps out easily with a cleaning rod down the barrel. Unfired cartridges are slipping into chamber easily.
Extractor is entirely spring-powered.
No obvious marks on the fired brass.

1) Any other NEF owners had this sort of problem?
2) What's the probable cause?
3) What's the best solution?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!!

Encore,
It sounds to me like gunk in the extractor hole, a weak extractor spring or both. I don't know how big of a job it would be to remove the extractor and spring for cleaning and lubing, but would be worth looking at I think.

------------------
pmcatsig.GIF

Take a look at the chamber and make sure that there a no bad spots. The chamber may need to be polished. You did not mention if you were using hand loads or factory ammo. Loads could be a little too hot if they are hand loads. Rich is also correct, those guns tend to be shipped pretty well gunked up from the factory. Yote Hunter.

My buddy had one in .223 and sighted it in using cheap wolff ammo. Same problem, switched to cheap american eagle ammo, problem solved.

Back