A question on scopes

old#7

Does the value of a "click" change with yardage? I know a click is 1/4 inch at 100 yds, but would only be 1/8 at 50 yds. so what would the value of one click be at 200 yards, 1/2 inch?

Old #7,
If each click on your scope is actually 1/4" of impact change at 100 yds, it would indeed be 1/2" at 200 yards. I have found that not all scopes that are advertised as 1/4 minute clicks are actually just that. You will need to check you own scope to be certain.

Maybe I can confuse things even more here. Most scope makers say their clicks are 1/4 minute, or 1/8 minute, or whatever. Minutes are a measure of angle. Everybody knows there are 360 degrees in a circle and 90 degrees in a right angle, i.e. between horizontal and vertical. A degree is broken down into 60 minutes. (No decimal system here.) Think of how an hour is further broken down into 60 minutes, not into tenths or hundreadths.

As an absolute stroke of pure luck, 1 minute of angle is almost exactly 1 inch at 100 yards. This makes it real convenient for us to talk about minutes and inches as if they were the same. This only works at 100 yards. An inch is an inch, whether at the muzzle or at 100 miles, whereas a minute is an inch at 100 yards, 2 inches at 200, 10 inches at 1000 yards, etc.

All the above aside Rich is right about many scope makers not making their clicks what they say they are.

Old#7 you have two great answers by two of the best.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

Jason's Gun Room
Quality Custom Gunsmithing http://predatormasters.com/jasongunroom.html
www.LostMountainHunts.com

Let me see if I understand this. 1/4 inch click( be it a true 1/4) is a 1/4 minute of angle. So 1 click would move the point of impact 1 inch at 400 yards. Meaning if a given round drops 32 inchs at 400 32 clicks would put the round dead on. Right?

Hey man, you GOT it! Now all you have to worry about is the wind... is it 5, 8, 10, 12 or 21 mph... from 5:00, 4:30... or maybe fishtailing? ;-)

Old #7,
Now that its as clear as mud let me muddy the waters a little more.
You must also take into consideration where your glass was manufactured. In most cases if your scope is not of U.S. manufacture a minute of angle at 100 yds. is not one inch! Remember the metric system?
Jim

A minute of angle is exactly the same in both the english and the metric system. One minute is one sixtieth of one degree and it subtends exactly the same distance at 100 yards. It makes no difference whether you measure that distance in inches, centimeters, or finger widths, it is exactly the same.

hey 7,
careful there old son. lotta scopes out there on the market, if'n you tak'em 32 clicks in one direction, aint never comin back. be careful what scope that you try it with.... john w

Back