recoil pads

Scott Young

I will be the first to admit it. I am a Wh.....whi.......whim.......whimp. I have very light .338 Win Mag that stomps my butt. It doesn't have a recoil pad on it and I am ready to put one on. I have narrowed the selection to the pachmayr decelerator and the f990 triple magnum. Which you you choose and why?

Thanks for you input.

------------------
Scott (aka Arkansas Redneck)

Whimp hell!
It takes a brave man to even own a light 338, much less shoot it.

Somebody here should be able to help with the recoil pads.

I recognize you from somewhere, Posse Country or Shade Tree maybe?

Scott the absolute best pad I have used for butt kicking rifles is the Kick-Eze sorbathane pad.

I think that the thickest is the 1 inch or the 1 1/4 . I would get whichever is the thickest.

These are kind of tought to mount yourself so a gun smith is recommended.
The pad is about $30 and the smith should run about the same, so the package will run in the range of about $60 bucks.

These are really soft pads so you will want to store your rifle muzzle down.

You can also get a Past recoil pad for your shoulder that straps around your chest.
I use one when sighting in my bigger rifles and it makes a big difference.

You wont need one for hunting as you seldom notice the kick on game.

Jack, I was on both...going back almost 5 years I think. I have been hit and miss on this forum, because of work and what not.

I am putting an elk gun together that is mostly a pack gun. The load is 225 gr partition pushed over 3000 fps. In a 6 lb gun I am taking a beating.

Craig, I will look into the kick-eze.

------------------

A couple of things, I know about recoil after having built a .458 Win Mag that weighed in at under 8lbs fully loaded, broke 2 bell and carlson stocks with it.

First, insure the end of your stock (butt end) is 90 degrees to the bore of the barrel. this will insure that the recoil is coming straight back with less rise of the barrel.

Install a second recoil lug and glass bed to help with distributing the recoil energy, you will still feel the recoil but it will extend the life of your stock.

Third, I recommend Mag-na-porting or something similar, it does work real well on the bigger bores, warning the blast and report do increase, but I was able to shoot my .458 off the bench after these mods.

A soft or honeycomb style recoil pad will allow the rifle to move on your shoulder, I don't care for that myself.

Good luck, and happy hunting,

Dave

Scott, the only one I have used is the decelerator pad. I didn't need it but a few years ago a girl friend was going to use my 7mm mag for elk. She only weighs about 110 lbs packin a rifle with her pockets full of ammo and the rifle was making her flinch so I stuck one on for her. It helped a lot because the rifle feels like it kicks less than my .243 now. She didn't get an elk but did manage to shoot a coyote at about 300 yards.

Take care,
Daryl

Hey Scott, good to see you back. I have a light .338 that used to slap me around little with Nosler 200 BTs at 3100. The stock recoil pad was one of those non-slip serrated affairs that would leave striped blood blisters on my shoulder after a few rounds. I installed a Decelerator and it's not at all uncomfortable to shoot now.

Have you thought about a muzzle break?
I have a frind with a Ruger #1 chambered in 7-300 with a muzzle break . It's a 300 magnum necked down to 7mm (I think). I thought it would be a monster to shoot, but I even had the wife shooting it. It kicks about like a 30-30. The side blast is unbelieable though!

Thanks for all the replies. I am calling the Kick eez and seeing what their return policy is. I want to feel it and look it over. Nothing against the Pachmayr, I just like trying not so mainstream stuff. I have several Decelerators.

I don't want any ported barrels or muzzle brakes. I value my hearing...what is left of it. I will have to admit that it does greatly cut the recoil and the barrel rise if ported right. A bunch of my friends swear by their muzzle brakes and I know they are good.

------------------

Injecting a couple of personal opinions here. First, I have no use for Magnaporting on any barrel, of any gun used for hunting. Second, I love the adjustable Morgan pad because you can get the cushioning where you need it from the bench or offhand. For me, that's the secret, the other points mentioned are very good, but depending on how you shoulder the gun, you may be driving the corner of the pad into some unprotected bony areas. Even worse, mount the piece incorrectly so that you have better protection at the expense of comfort. I certainly agree that the accordian looking pads have an appearance problem for me, the Decelerator is a very good choice, also.

Good hunting. LB

I have a custom 7mmSTW that weighs 8 pounds with a 6.5x20 luepold on it also a break and a decellerator, the recoil is less than a model 7 6mm rem.
RR

Back