Reloading the 6mm Rem with Magnum Primers

AlbertaFleaBags

Can't buy any standard rifle primers anywhere. George W has them all over in Iraq supposidly. Does anyone have any experience using magnum primers in small caliber loads. Looking specifically for 6 mm. 25-06 or 7*57? My reloading has come to a screeching halt. Thanks in advance.

I've been using magnum primers (CCI brand) for all my reloading for the 243, 280 Remington, 308 Win and for my 8mm Remington mag for the last five or six years. I just don't like stocking different types of large rifles primers. I'm getting excellent accuracy with them all. Don't know what else to say...

I would suggest you start under your max loads and work up your loads again, that what I did.

I only shoot one small rifle, the 204 Ruger and I use CCI BR-4 primers in it.

Same with the handguns. I use small pistol mag primers for the 38/357's and large mag pistol primers for the 41 mag and 44 mag and 45 long Colt even for the light loads for wadcutter 38 practice loads. All seem accurate and I've only one style of primers for each caliber.

I only use the CCI 450 small rifle magnum primers in my 223 loads. I don't seem to notice any problems with accuracy or reliability.

All that I have used in 6mm and 7X57 as well as others. I don't like having to stock multiply types of primers either.
If you have worked up loads, however, you will need to start over again.

I don't use magnum primers, I find they they are not as consistant, I exprienced greater ES yield, it's not a big deal for close range shooting.
I find Winchester LR and Fed 205 are about the best in mid size casing, I have good luck from 22-250~30-06.

I"ve used Fed Mag primers in 270 and 25-06 w/out any problems. I just didn't have any regular primers on hand at the time, so went with what I had. THey work just as well.

my apoligies to all who will disagree, but over the last 50 year I've probably loaded over half a million rounds with every primer you can think about, and i really don't find any difference worth spitting over. They all go bang. There have been some minor differences especially with sub and small calibers using benchrest primers, but evev those have been minute

I don't think there is a lot of difference. Good loads can be had with either. Oh yeah, by the way, George Bush didn't take all the primers to Iraq. I have never seen him handling any ammo!

Called the powder co... IMR says that it will increase pressure and velocity and suggest that I use 5% less of a charge to compensate for the magnum primer. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for your comments guys.

I've always selected Standard or Magnum primers based more on the powder than on the case. Slow burning (for the case size) and ball powders get magnum caps. Faster/medium rate and non-ball powders get standard caps. I haven't run into any problems getting either one, though. If I were convinced there were little/no difference, it'd be nice to only stock one kind...

Back