Primer seaters

Scott F

I have used the Lee primer seating system for the last 10 years. Even though I am still using my original one and have never experienced a breakdown I am thinking about a new priming system. I would hate to be out on a big shoot and not be able to reload because of a breakdown. I shoot a 22 br and have less than 100 pieces of brass so reloading at the shooting bench is a must.

What priming system would you all recommend?

------------------
In HIS Service
Scott

The Sinclair claims to be "The Best Priming Tool In The World." It does look nice, but a bit pricey at $98.50 without shellholder.

I have used the Lee for about 20 years and am completely satisfied with it. It has loaded over 50,000 rounds with no problems.

I've used the Lee from way back when, too, even have a small drawer full of spare parts from the ones I wore out...

Then for no reason that I can discover _ I haven't looked real hard - it started loading primers in my .338 about 0.007-8" shy of the pocket bottom. This caused many misfires, and some game loss.

Nowdays I use a Co-Ax for rounds I'm serious about...
biggrin.gif

Tom

Me too, I have used the Lee Auto Prime for years, and have in fact worn out a couple of them. I too had a problem of it not seating primers deep enough, and it turned out to be a worn part (the link that goes from the thumb piece to hit the seater plunger). The worn one had a flat spot worn on its top. Replaced it and every thing was fine.

Since I have tried an RCBS Hand Primer Tool, and the new Hornady Hand Priming Tool. I have settled on the Hornady. It sits in the hand better, and instead of using thumb pressure, the priming handle is located in the front so you squeeze it with all of your fingers much like squeezing a pair of pliers. I have used the Hornady to load a couple thousand rounds now, and I am sold. That is the one I always grab for.

Larry

Hello
I like the RCBS unit. About 30 bucks. A buddy of mine uses the Lee with no problems. It too, is a good unit.

------------------
Safety,Ethics, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy-I am On the Way to the Arizona Predator Hunt!!!!!!

I have used the Lee for many years, wore my first one out and tried the RCBS.

After what I considered a fair trial run I finally threw it absolutely as far out my reloading room door as possible.

I bought another lee.

I suggest the same to you, if your worried about only having one, well then carry a spare.

I have a Lee too. It is my second one. the first one I had got dropped and broke the pivot. Excellent primer tool, it lets your hand feel the setting of each primer, which makes for better consistency.

The only improvements I would suggest that Lee could do is put some kind of a cushion on the priming arm. After priming two to three hundred cases, your hand starts to get sore. I also have one of those spring clips that holds papers together. I use this for the lid to keep it extra secure. MP

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif
http://www.predatormasters.com

[This message has been edited by Mike Paul (edited 08-04-2001).]

Good idea Mike! I see that you have spilled a tray or two of primers as well.

I am going to get one of those clips ASAP.

Back