M1A reloading

old#7

Can anyone help with load data? I understand port pressure is an issue w/ the m1a. How does port pressure relate to chamber pressure?

Accurate 2520 is the perfect powder(meters like water too) for the M1A with 168 MatchKings. Fine tune the amount but most M1As end up shooting 43 to 45 grains.

When sizing your brass use a case length mic and only push the shoulder back .003. The M1A is hard enough on brass without oversizing. Even then throw brass away(crush it) after 5 firings. Any more and you are asking for head separations.

I fired about 6000 of that load and went from sharpshooter to master class with it.

Port pressure is mostly determined by how fast a powder is being used. A fast powder will have low port pressure, a slow powder high port pressure. Too low a pressure will cause unreliable functioning. Too high port pressure can bend operating rods and other nasty things.

[This message has been edited by Jack Roberts (edited 06-02-2001).]

Jack,

Did you use a small base die to size the cases? I have been told the Springfield has a tight chamber. Use any 4895? Thank you for your time- Robert

I shot several Springfield Armory National Match M1As and never used a small base die. It's easy to see if your rifle might need one. Measure a fired case 1/2" forward of the head, resize it in a standard die and remeasure. If it is smaller now, you do not need a small base die.

In 40+ years of gunsmithing and reloading, I have never seen a quality firearm which required a small base die.

After AA2520, IMR 4895 is the powder of choice for the M1A. But 2520 gives more consistant velocity and meters much better.

I finally got around to shooting my reloads in the M1A. I was VERY pleased. The first group when about 1 inch, the second .546, and the third .245. All were 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I was surprised that the basic model rifle I have shot that well. The bolt action 7mm mag I had would do about .75.

Be the way Jack,
Can the gas port be turned off, to allow the manuel functioning of the action? This would stop having to chase brass on the range.

[This message has been edited by old#7 (edited 06-24-2001).]

The M1As from Springield Armory are usually quite accurate. The trouble I had was keeping them that way. Over time they tend to shake loose. I usually sent them back for rebedding and overhaul about every 2500 rounds.

I understand the newer double lugged receivers are much better.

The gas port on the National Match rifles should NEVER be turned. It is calibrated and turning it will mess things up. I think some of the standard rifle's ports can be turned off. However, I would be hesitant to do it because it will certainly change the barrel harmonics and you would have to develop a different load for the port closed.

I hate to loose brass too, but it really is a minor expense in the overall picture. I am shooting an AR for calling now and loose about 50% of my brass in the field. I buy 1000 cases at a time from IMI (good brass) and don't worry about it.

Enjoy that M1A!
A nice piece of machinery.

Old #7
When I was into semi-automatic firearms, rifles and pistols, I had the same problem with brass flying around. I developed a neat way to police this. Eventually you will see a pattern to the way your rifle ejects shells. Unless you drastically change loads, or point of aim, a specific rifle will usually toss them toward a specific point on the ground, usually they will all land in about a 12-18 inch diamter circle. locate the center of that "circle" then take a 12-18" cardboard box, pack the bottom with shop rags, etc.. and put it on the ground. Now you have a neat little shell catcher, that you spent no money on.
smile.gif

------------------
Safety,Ethics, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy-I am On the Way to the Arizona Predator Hunt!!!!!!

Thanks Jack.
Your point on barrel harmonics is noted. Those groups were center to center. It is not bedded. Does the bedding make alot of diffence, I use my rifle to deer hunt and with the way it is shooting I use it for long range groundhogging. THe bullets I was shooting were Seirra 165 Game master hollow points. The powder was IMR 4895.

Tackdriver,
THe "brass box" sounds good!!

[This message has been edited by old#7 (edited 06-25-2001).]

Bedding usually improves them a lot. However the way yours is shooting, I would not touch it. Eventually it will probably loosen up and the groups will open up. That is the time to have it bedded by someone familiar with M1As.

Back