2506 Ackley Improved ??????????????????????

I'm on my third one, so I can give you a little free advice that may save you some time and effort.

I use 100 grain bullets for everything, that seems to be the natural weight. If you look at the hot 6mms in about 75 to 85 grains, the 25'06 AI doesn't really offer much in the way of superior performance. Same thing at the other end. In 120 grain weights, the 257 Weatherby shows better performance. So, it is my opinion that the 100 grain bullet performs better than the same weight in a 24 caliber bore. It also allows me to equal what a 257 can do with 100 grain bullets, but with 12 grains less powder. Some disagree, but that's my position, and I've got some strong numbers to back me up.

Powder selection.

You probably can't go wrong with a full case of H4831. I have used it and W760 to good advantage, but not in my present gun.

The best performer is Alliant R-22, at least in my gun. I'm using 57.0 grains but I know of people that are using more, and maybe not doing as well, speed wise. This load with Fed 210 in 270 Winchester cases gives me a MV of 3650. You may not get close to that, but from all my inquiries, others are getting the best speed from R-22. Accuracy? Don't know if either of the others mentioned would be better, but I'm getting a half inch, and that is close enough for what I'm doing. Also, the bullet zips through without expansion; I've seen a lot worse damage from a 22-250.

I have another load that was a result of pure curiosity, having heard all the talk about the 75 V-Max. It was a major surprise that my best groups with this gun; to date, are with the 75 grain Hornady bullet. (.250"x5) Another thrill for the speed freaks is that I am able to drive them at 4,000 fps. Down range, they do not perform along side the 100 Noslers, but within moderate distances, they mess up a coyote. My load is with AA #2700. If you don't hunt hides and you seldom have to make a five hundred yard shot, this bullet makes a coyote look like it was hit by a train.

Good hunting. LB

Back