Reloading info for the 30 gr Starke bullets???

Silverfox

My old reloading books don't list any suggested charge weights for 30 grain .17 caliber bullets. Would someone please point me to a source of reloading information on these 30 grain bullets for the .17 Remington. I'll be using a 26 inch Lilja barrel with 9" twist. I am looking for recipes that will allow me to use IMR 4320, or Varget, or IMR 4895; but other suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks

------------------
Silverfox

yotewalk.gif

I've got one load for Varget listed in my Hodgdon book. The Starting load is 22.0 gr. for 3405 fps with 39,700 CUP It lists the max load as 22.5 gr for 3742 fps with 49,700 CUP.

It also shows loads for H414, H380, H4895 and H322 for the 30 grain bullets. If you want some of those let me know and I'll pass them along as well.

I haven't tried any of the 30 grain loads myself yet. I've a couple of hundred here to try out this summer, but I am just now getting my reloading room set back up and have spent the last few days trying to find a load that will send a 168 grain 7 MM Remington Mag bullet over 3000 FPS with out flattening the primer. I was hoping to find one to hit 3,100- 3,200 fps but it's not looking good at this point
smile.gif

Wow, Tim, 337 fps increase in speed for only an additional half grain of Varget powder! Sounds like I'd probably want to work up in .5 grain increments with Varget. I'd also be obliged if you could pass on the H4895 information too for the 30 grain bullets. Thanks for the comeback.

I've been trying to settle on a load for 55 grain Nosler BTs and another for the 40 grain Nosler BTs in my new Tikka 22-250. However, the wind has been blowing branches off of trees here lately so I haven't been out to the range. I wanted to have several hundred rounds loaded for a prairie dog hunt on this coming Thursday or Friday. Now they are predicting snow for later tonight! Man, this weather sure is getting me down. Glad I don't live in the Denver area though
biggrin.gif

I hope you get something worked out for your 7MM Rem. Mag. There doesn't seem to be any combination that I can find in my reloading manuals that will get you up there to 3,100 - 3,200 fps with that 168 grain bullet. However, 3,000 fps is a right respectable speed for that bullet in the 7 MM Remington Mag. rifle.

Hey there SilverFox--

You may want to increase in 0.2 to 0.3 grain increments with the .17 Rem--pressures can climb very quickly, and a pierced primer or stuck case or worse can suddenly appear.

Tom T.

Tim Behle
For those heavier bullets try VihtaVuori powder. I was able to get more velocity from it than any other powder in my 280AI. With VV`165 I got 2977 with a 180gr bullet. Very clean burning powder also.

Tom, I'm sure glad to see you jump in here with that info on taking it slow while increasing loads. My 17 is real picky on increases. Most of my hunting loads have 24.5 gr of Varget. 24.7 gr. is a little more accurate, but 24.9 blows primers.

When you work on new loads for the 17, Please, be sure to wear some kind of safety glasses. It hurts bad enough when a primer blows against your cheek, I'd hate to think of what it would do to your eye.

Tom, I'm going to be gone this weekend, but if you want, I can load up some 30's to try out for next weekend. I made one stand Sunday morning a mile south of the house. Ten minutes later, there was less than 20 yards between the first one's nose and the fourth one's tail. I was happy only 50% got away
smile.gif

Silverfox,
For H4895 the book shows a starting load of 20.0 gr for 3495 fps, with 44,000 CUP and a Max load of 22.0 for 3696 fps, with 49,900 CUP

Jack, I wanted to try VV, but on my last trip to the store, they were out. Hopefully they will have some the next time I go to a city.

I was still below book max, going up a half grain at a time, when my .17 Rem blew up. Brass in my face and the back of my right hand. Shooting glasses saved me.

Let me repeat: I was still below book max!!!!

The 17s are too picky for me.

Believe me, half grain increases are WAY too much for it.

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

OK! OK! guys, I see the light! I wasn't thinking to good there for awhile, but thanks to you guys, my eyes have been opened. I will definitely cut down the increments to no more that .1 or .2 grains at a time. I have gotten into the habit of wearing my shooting glasses and promise I'll have those on too.

Is there a Web site where I can find reloading information for 30 grain bullets in the .17 Remington? I can find info for th 25 grain and the 20 grain, but nothing on the Web for reloading the 30 grain bullets.

Anyway, thanks for looking out for me there guys. I really appreciate the friendly warnings. I don't know what I'd do without all the friendly folks on this board.
smile.gif

On load work up and blowing actions; I recall that Remington volunteered the information, a while back, that the leader of "all" chamberings, returned to the factory, with that problem...is the 17 Remington. Pressure is pressure.

Good hunting. LB

Back